Muncie 4 stuck in 2nd - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Muncie 4 stuck in 2nd

My muncie is sticking in 2nd. I got it out but now i shift into first then second then back to first then go to third. I can't tell if my slider ring is jamming or sync or what. It happened about 6 months ago and i opened the side pannel. All i did was pop the slider back by hand. All teeth were good, and it has driven fine since.(until now) Let me know if you can help. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Muncie 4 stuck in 2nd

Are you sure the linkage is adjusted properly?

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

I have had the same thing before, linkage not adjusted correctly.
what kind of shifter,Hurst??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
john

probably is the linkage........

what do you have? a big block with small block linkage?

a 67-68 with a muncie shifter?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Eric

yeah hursh shifter but a new indy style. I had an original when it did it the first time. I adjusted it then. Would that still affect it from sliding over to 3-4. It feels like they aren't there until i go back to first. 350ci
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 07, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Yes a poor adjustment will keep it from sliding smoothly to 3rd and 4th. Bad bushings will keep it from doing that as well even if you have it adjusted correctly. You may want to look into that.

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 07, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

This article may help http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97440/
It shows how to adjust shifter and linkage. If that doesn't work then????
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 07, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Eric

Thanks alot for the help guys. I am going to mess around witit now as well as tear out my rear end and add my new 3.73 gears. Old ones sound like i have a jack hammer in my back seat. Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Eric

well got it all aligned and it is a little better but still no dice. Igot under there and thought about the first time it did this. I had to pop the side cover off and force the slider out of second. It wasn't jammed bad but stuck none the less. This time i just unscrewed and dropped the link downward, adn tapped it with a hammer untill it was out. This is why i think it is a sync or a worn slider.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Eric

I am sure that the sync's are out now. I aligned the shifter and still the same. I am also having a problem putting my gears but that is for another thread. Gotta love old cars. My wife is letting me know how much she loves them tooooo. Oh well. I guess I am just being cheap, and not wanting to replace the brass. I will prob do that after the rear end is done.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 07, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

What is that a M21 - don't think you're putting one over. It takes 20 minute to take it out and another 20 minutes to tare it down. Another day on the kitchen table to fix it as long as you don't loose bearings: then a beer or two with a friend when you put it in and thrash through the gears - an M21 has to be one of the greatest OEM tyrannies ever built and your own one ))

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
bill

tapping it out with a hammer a no no you put trans in second gear than pull or remove cover the forks stay with housing same as putting it back on the forks slide right in no prying or hammering done.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 03:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Back when I had a muncie, this (or something similar) happened to me a few times, only when I was really cranking on it.

What would happen is the shifter would slide over to the 3-4 side BEFORE the trans was actually out of second gear. And it would stick that way. I would have to reach under and flip the 1-2 lever out of second into neutral and all would be well.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode