96 Z28 will not start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 07, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Eric

96 Z28 will not start

I have a 96 Z28 5.7 LT1, My son was driving it, going about 20 MPH and it stalled and would not restart. Put the OBD 2 scanner on it and read Throttle Position Sensor low voltage and Bank 2 Sensor 1 faults. Installed new TPS sensor and still cranks but will not start, Fuel pressure is good and has spark. I have not installed the new O2 sensor yet, Will the o2 sensor cause it not to start? I dont think so, if anyone has a clue please reply, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 96 Z28 will not start

Nope, O2 will not prevent it from starting. In fact, OBDII is smart enough that the vehicle will usually start and run without you even knowing there is a problem with it.

Things that come to mind which would prevent a start are ignition module, fuel pump, crank position sensor, etc. I would expect a Haynes manual would have simple diagnostic procedures to check those things using a digital volt-ohm meter. The TPS can be diagnosed with a volt-ohm meter as well. Perhaps you have a broken wire or loose connection somewhere instead of a bad TPS.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 09:22 AM
don

i had the same problem with mine.when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump kick on and presure up.thats what wasnt working on mine but it turned out it was the vats system or anit theft.if you have a spare key try using that one.my resitor went bad in my key.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Thanks for the advice, I will try it out....Eric
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Another question. Even if I have spark, Would the ignition module be at fault.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
mike

probably not eric...the module usually works or doesnt...isnt that car an opti system anyway???

sometimes you`re the windshield and sometimes you`re the bug...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Yes, it is a opti spark system, so I am coming to the conclusion that the Distributor is at fault
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Eric

I still need some advice. I replaced ignition coil, ignition coil module and have spark but no fire. if I had a bad crank position sensor would that prevent a start and wouldn't it show up with a fault code the OBD II scanner. I'm trying to narrow this down and my experience with this setup is minimal.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
mike

as i said before you replaced the coil and module, ignition is probably not your problem...i would figure more like fuel...maybe a filter, pump, maf ,or map sensor,tps sensor, so on...the tps sensor in this car is adjustable, no???you cant just pop it in and expect it to read correctly...it needs to be zeroed out...(i believe)...check for injector pulse...there could be a bad ground at the injector rail making problems with your tps, and injector rail!!!definately look into the ground thing...you need to get a gm noid lite to test, but they can be gotten at autozone for cheap money, and you`ll be surprised hw often you can use them to diagnose a problem...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
george

Eric...What is your measured fuel pressure at the service port?You should have 40 psi or more.remember the injectors still need to be pulsed to inject fuel.A noid light plugged into an injector connector while cranking will assist your diagnosis.The noid light should flash and will confirm that the ckt is complete and controlled by the PCM.Your ECT sensor should read engine temp also.If not the A/F may be lean or rich depending.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomwerker View Post
as i said before you replaced the coil and module, ignition is probably not your problem...i would figure more like fuel...maybe a filter, pump, maf ,or map sensor,tps sensor, so on...the tps sensor in this car is adjustable, no???you cant just pop it in and expect it to read correctly...it needs to be zeroed out...(i believe)...check for injector pulse...there could be a bad ground at the injector rail making problems with your tps, and injector rail!!!definately look into the ground thing...you need to get a gm noid lite to test, but they can be gotten at autozone for cheap money, and you`ll be surprised hw often you can use them to diagnose a problem...
We think alike.lol.I am sure you have also seen little rodents this time of year that just love to nibble on wiring insulation on a cozy warm intake manifold.Something to look out for also.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
mike

i once had an abs light come on in a saturn sl2 that didnt even have abs...raoflmao...ended up being a mouse ate a dash wire!!!!little pricks...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 15, 09:06 AM

I have a 95 camaro 3.4 . It want crank the fuel pump want come on no power at all. It has done this before and we put a new streering column in it and it worked for a while now its doing it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode