1969 camaro rs headlight doors problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

1969 camaro rs headlight doors problem

Hopefully someone can help with the hidden headlight doors. The hidden doors were working beautifully and were aligned properly, opening and closing as they should. However, the other day my buddy came over to look at the car and he wanted to see how the doors open. When I started the car and pulled the light switch to open the lights, I felt the vacuum and then it had no vacuum--like someone had the other end of a rope and let go. I know the switch has to have vacuum on it and it worked properly before but now it has no vacuum. The car has been restored with proper lines, check valves, and headlight relay vacuum switch, all purchased from Rick's. The lines are run underneath the radiator support and everything appears to be tied in correctly. I have checked vacuum lines to see if anything was loose, but all is well. Looking for advice on what this problem could be and how to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 1969 camaro rs headlight doors problem

The is a "switch" on top of the vacuum tank for the doors, did your buddy move it?

Jeff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 07:21 AM
Retired
Jim

sounds like somebody flipped that switch as Jeff said.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

There is a new headlight relay vacuum switch mounted on the vacuum reservoir, and the lines are run properly to it because it was working perfectly. How can I troubleshoot to see what the problem could be?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

Jeff...no, nobody touched anything. It worked, and then it didn't. The hood was shut. The lights came on, but the doors wouldn't open.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
William

There is a sliding valve on the headlamp switch that alternates the side of the system that has vacuum. The valve has a metal tab that latches it to the plunger; the tab eventually breaks off rendering the system inop. It can be dismantled and replaced if you have another RS h/l switch. Be aware that factory gauge cars used a different switch.

William

CRG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

Thanks, William and everyone. The head lamp switch is probably 40 years old, and like I said I started the car and pulled the switch to turn the headlights on. The lights came on, but the doors didn't open. I felt the vacuum pressure and then felt the pressure ease off on the head lamp switch. I've tried it several times now and there is no vacuum pressure on the head lamp switch on the interior driver's side (this is the switch that turns the headlights on and off, and opens the doors). I didn't know about a metal tab that could break off. Before I take this off to inspect, anything else? Thanks, Casey
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 08:27 AM
Team Member

In the Tech section , tech reference #2 there is a system schematic. you should be able to trace back where there is, or is not ,vacuum by disconnecting the lines at the tank mounted valve and isolating the problem. ie. if there is vacuum coming from the headlight switch line when the switch is on, and none when it is off , then the switch is operating properly. if there is no vacuum going to the switch then the problem is in the hoses before the switch. etc.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 09, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The vacuum line could have come off the switch. I would check for vacuum at the switch if you have vaccum there, check downstream from the switch. If all is good up to there, then the vacuum relay is likely the problem. Problems downstream from the relay usually show up as one side or the other not opening, not both. Good luck!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

Hurray...I got a head lamp switch today from Rick's, installed it, and it works great. The switch was the original, 40 years old. Any ideas if these can be rebuilt? Thanks once again, Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode