Water leaking through windshield.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Water leaking through windshield....

I need a little assistance. I have a water leak at the driverside windshield (I believe). When I pour water on the lower corner of the windshield it leaks down through the vent on the kick panel. That's the only place that is wet when I wash the car. Any ideas on how it could be fixed or does somebody know a way of pinpointing exactly where the water is coming in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Water leaking through windshield....

Check on the top of the cowl to see if you have the little black plastic caps that fill the holes in on the passenger and driver sides are in place.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Check to make sure that the water leak is not coming from the cowl area (area below the grill under the wipers). If debris has collected in this area like leaves and such, it could have caused the cowl to rust out and allows water to enter into the drivers/passenger side floor area. Been there. When I poured water into the grill area, it came out inside the car rather than the drain under the front fender just in front of the rocker panel. Using a flashlight, look into the grill towards the engine compartment to see if there's a build up of leaves, seeds, etc.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Check on the top of the cowl to see if you have the little black plastic caps that fill the holes in on the passenger and driver sides are in place.
Skeeter, not sure exactly what caps you're refering to. Can you be more specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
Check to make sure that the water leak is not coming from the cowl area (area below the grill under the wipers). If debris has collected in this area like leaves and such, it could have caused the cowl to rust out and allows water to enter into the drivers/passenger side floor area. Been there. When I poured water into the grill area, it came out inside the car rather than the drain under the front fender just in front of the rocker panel. Using a flashlight, look into the grill towards the engine compartment to see if there's a build up of leaves, seeds, etc.
This is pretty clear. The car was torn down last year and repainted. I'm wondering maybe if something was forgotten to be put back in place by the body shop like Skeeter suggested.

FYI, I did pour water on the cowl first and nothing leaked. The only time I get water leaking in through the kick panel is when I pour it on the windshield. Only the driver's side leaks. Passenger side is good.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

You can see the black plugs up by the fender bolts on the cowl.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Now I see them. Thanks for the picture. I'll check to see if mine are their.

BTW, nice engine bay.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech

Those little plugs on top won't make any difference. The system is designed to let water that gets into the cowl to drain down through the cowl sides and then back through the rockers to rubber flaps at the inboard rear of the rockers. It was called "flow through" or something like that, and was supposed to keep the air and water moving throughout the system so that nothing would accumulate and cause rust. Works really well... (I don't know the emoticon code for the one with rolling eyes, but...)

Did they re-seal the kickpanel vent tubes with non-hardening sealer when reinstalled? The easiest way to check will be to loosen/ remove the screws securing the driver kick panel and try to pull it out. If it moves at all, it was not sealed correctly. It takes a big rope of dum dum around the plastic tube on the kick panel vent to keep water out, and a lot of folks don't reseal correctly because either they don't know or because it is such a bear to remove a properly sealed kickpanel.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Did they re-seal the kickpanel vent tubes with non-hardening sealer when reinstalled? The easiest way to check will be to loosen/ remove the screws securing the driver kick panel and try to pull it out. If it moves at all, it was not sealed correctly. It takes a big rope of dum dum around the plastic tube on the kick panel vent to keep water out, and a lot of folks don't reseal correctly because either they don't know or because it is such a bear to remove a properly sealed kickpanel.
This is something I will have to play with this weekend. I do know that the kick panel was pulled out at least once before and I don't believe it was ever sealed right. I'll check it out this weekend and pick up some sealer at autozone and try to reseal it. Any suggestions or pointers on how to make this project easier? Would permatex be a good sealer to use?

Last edited by Carbo; Apr 3rd, 09 at 03:33 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Guys,

same issue. I know there was no dum dum putty put back, but the water isn't coming through the tube, but rather from above the kick panels and dripping down the cockpit side of them. I've reached up inside and can feel the water before it gets to the kick panel..
Any other suggestions?

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech

All you need is some electrician's putty from Home Depot or Lowes. It comes in plastic wrapped blocks, like modeling clay, and is typically found with the electrical tape, terminals, and tools. It costs less than $2 per block, and one or two blocks will seal both sides, depending on how thick a rope you want.

Eric
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
All you need is some electrician's putty from Home Depot or Lowes. It comes in plastic wrapped blocks, like modeling clay, and is typically found with the electrical tape, terminals, and tools. It costs less than $2 per block, and one or two blocks will seal both sides, depending on how thick a rope you want.
I used the very same electricians putty and had to do it twice because the first time I didn't get a good seal. Don't hesitate to use 1/2 brick per side on the car.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

O.K. To follow up with another question. Where exactly does the kick panel need to be sealed to the tube? I'm sure it will make more sense to me when I pull it out tomorrow but just trying to get a better picture in my head before I go in.

Although my water is coming out of the vent, I might have a similar leak like Brandon. Brandon, keep us posted as to your progess as I will do the same.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech

The tube is part of the plastic kickpanel, as seen below. It sticks into the opening in the cowl, and you will notice the raised ribs that are made to divert water from the vent door at the end. It is very, very rare to have water actually getting in through the end of the tube/vent door, because of the way it is designed and oriented.

However, if there is not a fat rope of dum dum around the base of the tube, where it joins to the cowl side, it will leak like crazy. You can see some of the leftover GM sealer on this kickpanel, because the original stuff is very sticky.

You want enough of a rope/bead around the base of the tube to squish in and fill the gap between the sheetmetal and the plastic. Because the sealer does not set and remains tacky, this is a place where more is better than less.

Eric
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Eric, thanks for the photos. That really explains where I need to look. I'm going to buy some electricians putty today and tackle this project tomorrow. It is a rare nice April day in Cleveland so I'm going to take advantage and break in the new TKO and put some miles on it today.

I'll post tomorrow and let you know the progress.

Thanks again.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 09, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Just to update.....Success!!!!!!! I used 3/4's of a block of electricians putty and it worked beautifully. After several water tests and after washing the car, the floor is bone dry.

Now I have to do the passengers side. At least I won't have to deal with the Emergency brake or the fuse panel. Should be a lot easier to do this time around. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode