over fueling - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Smile over fueling

i have a 91 rs 305 that starts and runs fine till it gets warm then it floods and stops. if i pull the wires off the 2 injectors it will run ok for a while. any help with thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 09, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: over fueling

could this just be a sensor problem??
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 09, 12:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

My first guess is the temperature sending unit, front of intake near theromostat?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 09, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech

An important thing to consider is whether or not the engine is running in open or closed loop mode. When the engine is cold, the ECM sends a pre-programmed amount of fuel to the injectors. Once the engine is warmed up, it switches to closed loop mode and begins monitoring the O2 sensors to set the mixture. First step is to get the codes out of your computer. After having pulled two injectors though, you may have to clear the codes first and then get to misbehave to get a good read on them.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 09, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

I think John and Dave are both onto something. If the temp sensor is faulty and the ECU thinks the engine is cold, it will always run rich. Typically, you should be able to test the temp sensor with a DVM. When the engine is cold, you would get one ohm range reading and when the engine is hot, the sensor will read a different range of ohms. If you are getting the same readings hot or cold, you have a bad sensor.

alan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

many thanks for your help chaps! as the radio i have in the car discharges the battery i disconect it so i guess i have lost any codes. i am now going to run it up till it faults again and try for codes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 09, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

right she still runs fine for about 5 or so mins then both injectors go crazy. have checked codes and got 15 and 23 out of it. the cat was removed sometime ago before i got the car. help?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 09, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

oh yeh the cat was taken off and i cant see a oxygen sensor, think i have found the wire where it should be. has been that way for the year and half that i have had the car tho.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 09, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

new temp sender should be here sat
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 09, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Did you test the old one?

alan
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 09, 07:55 PM

i have a 92 and its doin the same thing. it ran great after tune up and then it all went to hell. its now just pouring full throttle at start and bogs the motor out. it barely runs. i pulled the tbi off and cleaned it that should do it. has the car been sittin??
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 09, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

na i didnt test it alan as i have no multi meter, should get one i guess. did get code 15 out the ecu tho. cheveyhead, yeh has been stood up for the winter with the odd start now and then.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 09, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

hey! she is sorted. runs best she ever has and i have the service light off now to. i guess the sensor was faulty all the time i have had the car. thanks for the help guys! poasted the same things on a uk forum and not a single message back. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode