Calling all Ford guys!! OK I know... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 09, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Calling all Ford guys!! OK I know...

This is not a Ford Forum but you guys have always been so helpful to non chevy guys I figured what the heck...OK Not very electrically inclined but here it goes. My car started yesterday after a jump start. It ran EXCELLENT. Then when I shut it down it would not turn over. I have what appears to be a BRAND NEW OPTIMA Red Top battery. So I put a trickle charge on it and let it fully charge over night. Went out to start it this morning and it would turn over fire up but the minute I let the key go it died. Did it again and again and did the same thing. I thought maybe there was not enough gas in it so I put more in. Fuel pressure gauge shows fuel is getting to the carb and the squirters are working. Waited a while to see if I flooded it tried again, same issue. Had my buddy play with the distributor and gas under the hood same results. Spark is getting to the plugs cause I took on ehfo the boots off, grounded it and you can see the spark. Fuel is there as well. So WHY does it turn over fire up and then die when I let off the key? Is there a way to check and see if I am losing power from the first key position? Does it even matter? Like I said not electrically inclined so any help would be appreciated on where to start with this electrical problem. Here is more info on the car.

65 Ford Fastback 302 motor, 4 speed, accel ignition and coil, electric fan with painless wire fuse and relays setup on it. Holley carb Double pumper. Like I said it is the weirdest think since it would jump start fine yesterday and ran AWESOME. Did I do something wrong by charging up the battery? I charged it at 2 amp setting on the charger with everything still hooked up to the battery. It charged all night and automatically shut off when it hit full charge! Oh one other thing.. I put the key in the on position and put on the lights and the windshield wipers. Both worked with no problems whatso ever. Dont know if that makes a difference but like I said just want to throw everything and anything out there. What would be the best way to troubleshoot this?

Mark
TOOFUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 09, 06:47 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Calling all Ford guys!! OK I know...

It would seem you have multiple problems. If it ran great and then would not start and needed a charge I would suspect the alternator. You say it fires until you let go of the key, is it running or dieseling? I am no expert but most electrical problems are ground related. I would start by checking all of the grounds and should you get it running remove the positive cable and see it it dies. If so the alternator is bad. There is probably a better way, but that is what I would try first. Since you have spark, fuel & air all that's left is how much of each?

Some videos I'v made for youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 09, 01:37 AM
Senior Tech
Levi

You said as soon as u let the key go right as it started it died? Had a problem like this it turned out to be a igntion switch. If that is the case when you let go of the key from start position.

1975 Camaro "Black Out"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 09, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech

If your battery has more than 11 volts it is fine. If it is running with the key in the start position but dies when you let off of the key then you need to verify you have power to the coil with the key in the 'run' position. If you do then something is wrong inside of the distributor or the coil. If you don't, you could have a bad ignition switch, solenoid, or an 'open' in the 'run' circuit.

Once you do get it running, you should have 14 volts across the battery posts.

Last edited by deerhunter; Apr 10th, 09 at 07:54 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode