Problem with Pypes Exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 09, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ALAN

Garage
Problem with Pypes Exhaust

I have been working on a long list of stuff on my 68 SS/RS the last couple of months and as I work on the down hill side I have run ito a problem with me exhaust. It is a Pypes 2.5" header back, quarter exit. the problem is with tubing sections over the rear and the extensions to the quarter. Please see the pics below. Has anybody used this system and had the same problem. As always your help is always appreciated. thx Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 09, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ALAN

Garage
Re: Problem with Pypes Exhaust

Oh and a few more pisc because we all like pics

List of work done:
*new front discs, MC, all new brake lines
*new headers and exhaust
*dropped rear and cleaned / painted
*replaced all the RS equipment (it may work now)
*new carb, intake, distributor, front wiring harness
*new shocks
*new prings
*new front suspension (bushings,tie rods, ball joints)

been doing my part to stimulate the economy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 09, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Nice car Alan...I don't have Pypes on my 69 but by looking at your pictures my guess is that your mufflers may be too far back and maybe sitting too close to the floor boards. You may need to shorten up the X pipe to get the over the axle tubes to move towards the front of the car (not by much by the looks of things)..

Z282NV

1969 Camaro

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 09, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
ALAN

Garage

Joe, if I move the the x pipe forward the turndown would also move forward. In the pics above the pipe you see to the rear of the drum is the part that should exit at the rear/ and a couple of inches below the wheel opening. If anything the mufflers should move to the rear and drop about 6" with the pipes the way they are bent, but if I do that the over the axle pipe would hit the rear axle, if I drop the system to the required height it would only sit above the axle about 2". I did call Summit and they said that they have never had any complaints about this system before ( I wish I had a dollar........) and it is the correct kit. I think I will contact Pypes on Monday and send them some pics. thx Al
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 09, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

What if you angled the pipes comming out of the mufflers slightly to the outside of car ?

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 09, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
larry

Alan: Here is what I had to do. I had a PYPES cross flow muffer kit and X pipe. The instructions are verry bad. I got 4 jack stands and set them under the car. Piece by piece I assembled the system. on the jack stands. Then I started at the rear of the car puting the tips where I wanted them. then I worked toward the headers. It took me about 3 days of fiting fighting and cussing to get it where I was happy. I bought some stn band clamps to put on the front and middle. just in case I need to take the trans out. I had the rear portion welded at the muffler shop. My welding leaves a bit to be desired
Larry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 09, 09:32 AM

not sure if you resolved this yet, but looking at picture on pypes website, tailpipe on driverside should have short end of pipe(length of pipe after the bend) going towards the muffler, you have the long end towards the muffler. Same on pasenger side, their pictures shows long end of tailpipe towards the muffler you have the short end of pipe. take out both tailpipes and stick the other end towards the muffler. hope this works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode