Shifter issues on Th-350 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 09, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Shifter issues on Th-350

Had this originally in Transmission/Driveline, but no one replied. Hoping to get someone to help me in this forum. Here are the issues....

When I first put the Camaro up on jackstands, I had drive and no reverse or park. Found S-clip fell out and I also noticed the gear selector that is attached to the case was extremely loose.

I tightened up the gear selector and installed a shift kit since I had it tore apart.

I finished up the Transpak and put it all back together. Put fluid in it and took it for a spin.

I have tried to adjust the horseshoe shifter in about every positon available to try and get low (1st) gear. I can feel the gear selector go into the low gear, but when I drive it, it shifts into 2nd gear.

I even put the shifter all the way back and adjusted it to where I had no park and gear selector was in reverse. Still no 1st gear...

Any suggestions? Did I tighten up the gear selector inside the case too tight?

I also am still having issues with 2-3 gear shifting rather quickly. Can't you do something to the vacuum modulator to help with this issue?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Shifter issues on Th-350

Is your horseshoe shifter a Glide or TH350 unit?

An original TH350 shifter has one more notch/detent to the rear to allow 1st to be selected. If you have a Glide shifter, you can sometimes get the cable adjusted so that you can get both 1st and 2nd on what would be the Glide shifter's "L" detent, but it usually doesn't work well and it certainly will not "click" as you move forward from 1st to 2nd. I had a Glide shifter on the TH350 in my 68, and you really had to pull all the way back (to the point where it felt like the shifter handle should bend) to get 1st. You can modify a Glide shifter by cutting/grinding another detent, or you can get a kit from www.shiftworks.com and replace the detent plate. If you search "TH350 detent" and/or "TH350 shifter", there are a lot of threads, and I know I have seen pics comparing the two detent plates. If I can find the thread(s) with pics, I'll post a direct link. Let me know if you find them before I do.

As far as controlling shift points and speed, that's generally a function of the governor weights and spring. If you search "TH350 governor", there are many threads about changing weights and springs to move the shift points around as desired. If I run across one that's particularly informative, I will link it here.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Eric suggests, a PG shifter detent plate does not have enough detent to select TH350 1st gear manually, but will shift to all other gears manually selected.

You can make it functional by removing the detent plate, a rivet and a bolt to remove, and make room for it, then use another bolt/nut to reinstall the plate.

I did the same to mine and I also added a deeper detent for Drive selection as to not shift into neutral at the track when manually shifting into Drive.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech

I had similar issues except with a 700R4. What others are saying about the detent plate is correct - the PG unit doesn't have as many lands as the 350 has gears.

But in my case, the main issue what the stroke of the shifter cable was limited to 2" and the bellcrank on the transmission was too long to sweep all the gears. I crawled underneith, disconnected the sifter and took some measurements between the cable bracket and bellcrank as I manually twisted the shifter shaft. I figured out where my bellcrank needed to land and drilled a new hole. I probably could have purchased something that would work better, but it works just the same.

My advice would be to measure the stroke of your cable / shifter before messing with the detent plate. You'll probably find as I did that the cable will only retract and extend so far and the rest must be made up with the bellcrank on the shifter shaft of the transmission.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 07:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

My orignal 350 detent has no notch between low and drive. I also have a very slight adjustment at the shifter but the one that get the job done is at the trans. I could shoot some pics if it would help as it's apart but no PG detent to compare to here.

Jeff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I had an original PG shifter and swapped in a T350. I didn't do a thing to the shifter detent plate and it worked perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 09, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about no reply the last few days, computer has a mind of its own. I bought a new shifter off of eBay from a classic car parts distributor for a turbo 350 and see no difference between the two.
Detents are the exact same. I will try to post a few pics later today or tomorrow of my shifter.
I am thinking of jacking up vehicle and disconnecting the linkage. Manually moving the gear selector on the transmission case and seeing if it will only stay in first gear.
I am kinda baffled about how I finally got it to go into low gear for a few days, and then the S-clip fell out of the transmission and after I did all this work, and now I can't seem to get the gear to stay in first.
I will post any new info and pics as soon as I can.
Thanks for the responses.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode