engine light flashing 2000 camaro 3800v6 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 09, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

engine light flashing 2000 camaro 3800v6

my engine light has been on for a while. i have been trying to get it fixed to get it inspected. had the code checked at autozone and they told me misfire cylender 1. i changed plugs and wires, cleared code, still misfire in cylinder 1. then i swapped coil pack to see if the misfire moved, which after that it ran like crap and showed a random misfire. so i went ahead and replaced the coil pack that was originally on 1.

the rough idle has calmed down some what and it runs fine when gas is applied, but when it is just barely moving forward at idle it is very sputtery and jerky and the engine light is flashing. i have not been back to check the codes again yet.

any ideas what this could be.

b4 the things i did, it was idling rougher than it is now. its still not as smooth as it should be. and it feels fine driving down the road. just real jerky pullin up to stop or easing forward.

any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 09, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech

Re: engine light flashing 2000 camaro 3800v6

The coil swap was a good test. I suspect you have narrowed the problem down a bit. Did the coil pack come with a new wire? A bad wire could have lead to a coil failure.

The main thing I wanted you to know is that if the battery was disconected, it can take a little while for the ECM to relearn idle. Usually one drive cycle is all it takes. Be sure to exercise the AC, head lamps, turning the wheel stop to stop, applying the brake, and letting the car warm up. All of these things are used by the ECM to keep the idle under control and are part of the idle relearn process.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 09, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech
BARRY

do a compression test and look for a vac leak
Barry

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 09, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

check injector too

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 09, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Check the wires very carefully. If it has been burned or leaning on something that gets too hot, that'll cause a misfire code. Friend had problems with this for awhile before it got straightened out. After everything is corrected, you might need Advance to clear the code and let the engine go through it's trouble-free cycles before it recognizes the problem is solved. Also good advice listed above.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

If the problem is gone, the engine light will go off by it'self.
If the check engine light is flashing, you have a catalyst damaging misfire. Do not drive the car, you will kill the converter!
Dale

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech
DONNIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale68z View Post
if the problem is gone, the engine light will go off by it'self.
If the check engine light is flashing, you have a catalyst damaging misfire. Do not drive the car, you will kill the converter!
Dale
yep will eat a converter up

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode