Lining up pulleys is a *itch! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 09, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Lining up pulleys is a *itch!

I'm installing my PS pump and Alternator and off to a bad start. First, I ordered repop stuff because it's cheap and nothing fits. Even grinding, bending and beating isn't enough. So I get original used of Fleabay and guess what? Fits PERFECT.
Now, I have to line up the pulleys but that isn't as easy as it sounds. Although the original brackets fit perfect, there is a slight variance of only a degree of two when looking at them from a belt perspective.
How is everyone lining these pulleys up. Is there a trick or do you just bite the bullet and shim, washer or wedge them till they line up. I'm pretty anal about that. I dint want the Alt belt flying off at 6 grand.

69 SS/RS Fathom Green 454 4 speed

Bumper sticker- My other auto is a .45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 09, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Lining up pulleys is a *itch!

The only pulley I had trouble with was the power steering pully (lower left of the block). I think the revised engine mounts changed the alignment of the bracket. Or perhaps there were originally washers installed on the engine mount that were lost by the original owner.

I used by cut-off tool to slice the bracket where it makes a right angle and then bent the bracket to line everything up. I still have yet to weld the crack shut, but the alignment is good now.

I used a couple of tools to align the pulleys. An aluminum ruler worked for some of them. I also have a magnetic laser level that I rigged up to shoot a beam down the pulley groves which worked really well.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 09, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And if you don't have a laser beam handy, you can use a 1/4" wood dowel. One about a foot long works well. Just lay it into the pulley and it'll point to where the belt will go. Accurate to 'laser' specs too.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 09, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

march pulleys and brackets and i can get it to 7k no problem
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 09, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Thank you guys, the dowel trick sounds like a good start for me. Sometimes I just cant tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me. It seems straight but then from a different angle it's crooked.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 09, 01:38 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad454 View Post
It seems straight but then from a different angle it's crooked.

Everytime I look at my belt alignment it appears different also but believe me, it's straight as it's never thrown a belt or wore down a belt on the edges!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 09, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Is there someone here that can post a couple close up pic's of the alternator mounting setup and the power steering setup for a big block application?
Thx!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 09, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode