Default 68 camaro gas gauge not reading correctly - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nameless wonder

Default 68 camaro gas gauge not reading correctly

so for the past few months ive trying to get my camaro that my father has been sitting around for me for the past two decades running. im likely to do a write up on the mini budget build i got going on with it but that will be later on when its worth reading, lol.

any hoot, its a 68 camaro with an automatic, so it has the the speedo on the left and gas gauge on the right. the needle on the gas gauge as most of you 68 owners know, is supposed to be around the 10:30am (empty) to 1:30pm (full) mark. now, MY gas gauge, without turning the ignition key, will sit at the 1:30pm mark (which read "F" for full). when i flip the ignition key, the needle will rotate to the 3 o clock mark.

the gas tank is full the brim with fuel and yes i forgot to check if the needle moved when i filled up.

although i have the car running, i havent really driven it in fear of breaking down. so driving around until it runs out of gas to see what the gas gauge does is out of the question.

ive got no idea how to trouble shoot this. i dont know if the gauge is broken, something wrong with the fuel sending unit or the needle simply needs adjusting. if anyone can let me know where i should begin trouble shooting id appreciate it.

PLEASE NO GUESSES. im not rich enough to do this twice. im looking for absolute answers or people that have had the same situation.

thanks in advance.

Cant seem to climb out this money pit they call Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Default 68 camaro gas gauge not reading correctly

Got an ohmmeter/DMM? There is a tan wire from the driver kick panel to the rear of the car by the fuel filler tube, may have to remove the shield. This tan wire goes to the sending unit.

Unhook the tan wire and measure ohms to ground. GM is 90 ohms = full; 0 ohms = empty.
There is a black wire coming off the sending unit and goes to the tank strap mounting on the pass side, make sure this connection is good condition, wire brush it.

If you ground the tan wire, gauge should read empty. Tan wire back to full tank sending unit, gauge should indicate full. If the needle arc is present between full to empty, then needle may need relocating by moving it on its shaft.

To check further levels, you're either going to have to drive it, siphon gas out yo empty the tank, or get a 45 ohm resistor to check for 1/2 tank by tying one lead to ground and the other lead to the tan wire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nameless wonder

thanks, ill try and get my hands on an ohmmeter today and reply by tomorrow.

one quick question, in the event that i have to relocate the needle, am i supposed to remove the needle and reposition it/push it back into place? or just move the needle by hand to where it supposed to be?

thanks for the quick and accurate response.

Cant seem to climb out this money pit they call Camaro

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Some gently pull it off and reset.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode