69 RS vacuum headlight testing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howard

69 RS vacuum headlight testing

Is there a way to test the headlight switch for accurate operation as well as the vacuum relay mounted to the vacuum tank? Currently my RS headlights are not operating.I know there are no leaks (tested) and correct NEW vacuum lines are ran (by diagram) but that did not cure the problem.I have lots of vacuum to operate the system.It has to be one (or both ) of the switch or vacuum relay.

Just Having fun with all My Big Block Toys!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 02:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 69 RS vacuum headlight testing

You can test the headlight switch by putting a vacuum guage on the orange hose that feeds the vacuum relay. With the engine running and the lights off you should have vacuum present on the orange hose. When you turn the headlights on that vacuum should stop.

To check the vacuum relay disconnect the red and green feeding the headlights. With the engine running and the headlights off you should have vacuum on one of the 2 open ports and when you operate the override it should switch to the other open port.

Here's more on the system, I have just come into possession of a '68 AIM and will be adding more to this.

https://www.camaros.net/techref/articles/ftecref001.html

One thing that has been a puzzle is the position of the red and green hoses, if you follow the AIM is shows red on the upper port of the 3 and green on the bottom on the vacuum relay. Some have had to reverse this to get their headlights to work. I kept the tech article in line with the AIM. The '68 AIM show the green on top and the red on bottom so if indeed they made a change in '69 some cars might have gotten a '68 vacuum relay. Also the manufacture of the repro part may be reproducing a '68 and selling it as both '68 and '69. The same vacuum relay is used on Corvettes with pop-up headlights so there is room for the issue here. If your switch and relay check out switch the red and green and see if that does it...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howard

Dave, I tested the switch by your method,(Vac on orange hose with engine running,no vac when lights are turned on.) Then I tested the vac relay.Pulled the red and green lines off(engine running) and I found that I had vac on the red AND green ports even if I moved the "stay open" plunger at the top.BINGO.....BAD RELAY.Thanks for the info and help.

Just Having fun with all My Big Block Toys!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 03:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Dave, whos Dave? LOL... No problem, glad to help.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode