carb spewing gas everywhere - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage
carb spewing gas everywhere

What would cause a carb (QJet) to spew gas out of the vent tube (looks like it's from there) when I hit the gas after it warms up. I have a small spacer, about 1/4", do I need a bigger spacer or could it be something else. I thought the carb top was leaking at the plunger but I think it may be when it warms up and I rev the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: carb spewing gas everywhere

Crap in the float valve

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
john

The inlet needle and seat is open...........

Several causes: In order of likeliness

1. Heavy float...

2. Dirt in the needle and seat....

3. Way to much fuel pressure

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech

Has this motor set for a long time? If so, the fuel will dry up in the float bowl and coat everything with a brown film and hang up the float. You'll need to separate the top half of the carb from the bottom. Be careful with the gasket and hopefully you can reuse it. Look for the brown varnish film and remove the needle and seat for inspection. If it' s in very bad shape it probably should be completely dissasembled, cleaned and overhauled.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

I bought the carb a few months ago and the guy said it was running. It sat empty until I just tried it. Would spraying carb cleaner help clean it out or do I need to tak it apart?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 06:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

if it sat empty then i would rebuild carb.
rubber cracks and splits over time

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

removed the top, very little specks of sediment in bottom, brown film on bottom of bowl, cleaned it up with carb cleaner; anything else I should do. the carb looks clean inside & out. What should I do to check the float?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

To check the float, it should be very light in weight. You can float it in a pan of gas; sinks, no good.

Check needle & seat for trash. Assemble float to carb top with needle & seat and turn upside down; blow into gas inlet and should not be any air pass through.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 09, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

Why would a float be heavy, has a leak? Are you saying to re-assemble the carb and then blow into inlet and no air should come out of where, what does it mean if there is?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 09, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Either the bowl is MT and valve open...or faulty valve seat or crap in it

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 09, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg67rs View Post
Why would a float be heavy, has a leak? Are you saying to re-assemble the carb and then blow into inlet and no air should come out of where, what does it mean if there is?
turn carb upside down that will hang the float in the up postion same as if there was gas in bowl.blow light air into fuel inlet you should not hear air going into bowl.if you do the needle assembly is not seating and that is why your flooding.flip carb right side up and blow again you should hear air going into bowl

clayton hicker
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

I blew into carb with it upside down and couldn't get any air into it, same thing when I turned it right side up and blew into it; nothing. Your talking about blowing with your mouth and not compressor right.
This carb was fine when I initially started the car and ran it for about ten minutes, stopped it because of intake & valve cover leaks. When I re-started it again, didn't start so great, ran like crap then gas started shooting out, leaking by plunger. I have an inle filter along with the filter in the carb (which looks new), so I'm assuming the carb may have had some dirt in it already. Cleaned it out and will try again.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg67rs View Post
I blew into carb with it upside down and couldn't get any air into it, same thing when I turned it right side up and blew into it; nothing. Your talking about blowing with your mouth and not compressor right.
This carb was fine when I initially started the car and ran it for about ten minutes, stopped it because of intake & valve cover leaks. When I re-started it again, didn't start so great, ran like crap then gas started shooting out, leaking by plunger. I have an inle filter along with the filter in the carb (which looks new), so I'm assuming the carb may have had some dirt in it already. Cleaned it out and will try again.
yea blow with mouth.sound like needle assy. is plugged.got somthing under needle thats not leting fuel into the bowl

clayton hicker
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

Started it up today and the carb seems fine, ran it for about 10 minutes, no problems except for this dam valve cover. Two gaskets later and leaking like a sieve. Should there be smoke blowing out of breather, also have smoke blowing out of hose that is connected to rear of block which will be hooked to air cleaner. The smoke is light but visible. It's running out of valve cover and seeping into header and blowing out exhaust, neighbors must love me now. Sending it back to Summit for a new one, ugggh! Thanks for all your help with the carb.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

smoke is blow by.its normal to have a little but alot indicates tired rings.if your not getting a lot of smoke out tail pipe your ok its just blow by.

clayton hicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode