Sending unit on fuel cell - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 09, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Sending unit on fuel cell

I have a 67 camaro. It has a large fuel cell in the trunk with an electronic fuel pump. I am not sure on the brand of fuel cell. I want to buy an Autometer C2 fuel level guage, I think it is 0-90ohms, but I am not sure if this gauge would work with my current sending unit. Can anyone explain to me how I would be able to tell if my sending unit will work with this gauge? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 09, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Sending unit on fuel cell

Do you have an ohm meter ?.

With the sending unit out of the tank you then set the meter to the ohms scale and then connect one test lead to the ground of the sending unit and the other test lead to the terminal on the sending unit that would go forward towards the fuel gauge.

With the float hanging all the way down (like it would be with no fuel in the fuel cell) the meter should read close to 0 ohms and when the float is in the full up position (like it would be when the fuel cel is full) it should read close to 90 ohms. With the float arm halfway between up and down it should read somewhere around 45 ohms.

If you get these readings, then you need a 0 ohm empty to 90 ohm full gauge to work with what you have.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 09, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

I do not have an ohm reader. Is there anyway you can tell what type of sending unit I have by looking at these pictures? It is a Harwood fuel cell if that means anything. Thanks again.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/CIMG0845.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/CIMG0844.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/CIMG0843.jpg

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 09, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Ok, so I guess I do have an ohm meter. I am assuming the universal symbol for ohms is kinda like an upside down U right? Kinda looks like a set of headphones? I have one of those, I will test it tonight, Thank you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Maybe someone can help me out with this...Ive never used an ohm meter before. I have an Amprobe multimeter. I have the sending unit out of the vehicle. Does the sending unit have to be ground before it will give me a proper reading because I cant get it to work. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Make sure you have your meter working correctly first. Put it on the ohms scale and then touch the 2 leads on the meter together. You should see it go to 0.00 or somewhere close to that. If your meter works then you can test the sending unit.

Take one lead of the meter and connect it to the metal part of the sending unit. Take the other lead and hook it to the terminal point on the sending unit. This is where the wire would go. Now move the float up and down and see what it reads. Should be 0 ohms and then somewhere aroung 90 ohms.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Did you figure it out ??????

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode