69 Camaro motor mount problems. pics - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Gilbert

69 Camaro motor mount problems. pics

Hi. The problem I'm having is that I put a big block in a small block car. I changed the tranny crossmember to one for a 400 (Was a 350). I also changed the frame mounts to big block mounts. The engine sits on the frame and the pulley also sits on the front rail. I'm using a long water pump and pulleys. I'm putting some pics up to show what I'm up against. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: 69 Camaro motor mount problems. pics

Be careful not to bend your pulley. What is preventing the holes from lining up on the motor mounts? It looks like things would clear if the passenger side were lifted up a little and the whole thing shifted right to line up the holes. Try getting one hole lined up and put that bolt in. Then you can maybe move your chain around and play with the other side. I know that sounds easier than it actually is. Engine installs are never easy, but I know a Texan can do it!

To keep perspective, sometimes I like to ask myself how many cars GM has built since I started my engine swap.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I agree with Kevin, your engine needs to come up on the pass side. Support the engine with the hoist and remove the cross member then just slowly lift the engine until you can get the bolts in the mounts.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 08:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Yes agree with above.... You will need a couple of buddy's and move that cross member out of the way until you get the bolts in the motor mounts first. Possibly using a floor jack under the trans with a nice cushion of course and raise it up as you get one hole lined up (driver side first if possible) and install the bolt the other side you may need to use a philip's screw driver to help you line up the hole and as your buddy's are lowering or raising the motor to help line the hole up.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Gilbert

Thanks. It looks like that in the pics. I tried to move it to the passenger side and line up the bolts but the engine won't go down far enough because the pan is sitting on the frame. The oil pan has about 4 inches from top to bottom in the front so I think the pan is OK and not the wrong one. Is there a set of motor mounts that will bring up the engine?? Everything seems to be lining up great except that the engine is sitting on the frame.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Look like the wrong motor mounts to me.....
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Gilbert

Thanks. I thought the motor mounts were wrong also. I ordered some Moroso solid mounts # 62515 and hope that will take care of the problem.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Look like the wrong motor mounts to me.....
Agree.
Ya know, Classic sells a complete BBC interlocking kit for less than a hundred bucks. Looks just like the ones on my car. (original)
And I'm sure you replaced those SBC springs with stiffer ones. Right? Iron heads are a load.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 11:41 AM
Banned
Alan

Skeeter , What with all the blankets on the front clip ?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:04 PM
Tech Team
Neil

You may have to turn that rear A-arm bolt around or shorten it up. Dont want to ding up those nice headers!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgilbert View Post
Thanks. I thought the motor mounts were wrong also. I ordered some Moroso solid mounts # 62515 and hope that will take care of the problem.
Don't forget to set the headers in befor you run the bolts threw the mounts...

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blackburb View Post
Skeeter , What with all the blankets on the front clip ?
Alan i was protecting my buddy's cherry picker from getting scratched or nicked up .

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:45 PM
Banned
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Alan i was protecting my buddy's cherry picker from getting scratched or nicked up .
You are too much Skeeter
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Me thinks you have the wrong frame stands. Yours are way shorter than mine... pic#1 is a small block stand 1 1/2" from frame to bottom of arch (bolt goes above it} pic#2 is my drivers side & measures 2" . pic#3 is pass side and is 1 3/4". I have a full inch between my pan and the crossmember. Kits aren't always correct... the motor mount itself has no effect on height. For the record my mounts are urethane hi-po's but I don't remember from where. You can see yours are way shorter, hence the problem...

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 05:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgilbert View Post
Thanks. It looks like that in the pics. I tried to move it to the passenger side and line up the bolts but the engine won't go down far enough because the pan is sitting on the frame. The oil pan has about 4 inches from top to bottom in the front so I think the pan is OK and not the wrong one. Is there a set of motor mounts that will bring up the engine?? Everything seems to be lining up great except that the engine is sitting on the frame.
So the engine is high on the left (standing in front looking down on the engine), low on the right, the pan is on the frame rail and the cross member is is providing a fixed connection. It still sounds like the engine is cocked toward the driver side and needs to be lifted up, leveled and set back down. You still need to remove the cross member so the engine and trans assembly can move freely on the hoist until you have the mount bolts in.

See if this will help you with the frame mounts... http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#EngineMounting

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode