Gas leak need some help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Gas leak need some help!

I know this is a camaro forum but you guys have always been great when I had my camaros so.....Got a 65 fastback with a tank that is brand new(bought the car that way) The tank leaks gas when it is sitting in the garage at the sending unit. At first I thought it was the sending unit itself so just to be safe I replaced the whole sending unit gasket and hoses. Now the new one is leaking too. It is leaking at a rate of about a teaspoon and hour but it is very annoying not to mention dangerous. Some one told me the ethanol in the gas today will eat right through the rubber gasket around the sending unit so what should I do?

First off is it safe to drive the car to get it home?(20 minutes on the the highway straight shot home)? It only seems to leak when it is sitting still with the car off so I am assuming that the tank is pressurized enough to push it against the rubber and stop any leaks. Just want to get it home so I can drain it and get a better seal around it. Any ideas on a better way to seal it or a better gasket out there to use? The ring is as tight as it will go Thanks in advance!

Mark
TOOFUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Gas leak need some help!

It should be fine.. One thing you can do is get a vented gas cap and that should help.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How does a vented gas cap help this? Just curious...

Mark
TOOFUN

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Should be good to get home
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark67ss View Post
How does a vented gas cap help this? Just curious...

Mark
TOOFUN
A vented cap should help prevent the gas tank from pressurizing and having a vapor lock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
A vented cap should help prevent the gas tank from pressurizing and having a vapor lock.
I thought vented caps are for letting air in.

Anyway. You should be able to get it home. I would use caution and carry an extinguisher.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
I thought vented caps are for letting air in.

Anyway. You should be able to get it home. I would use caution and carry an extinguisher.
Correct thank you and to prevent vapor lock.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

How does a tank leak gas if the sender is on the top of the tank? The tank would have to be 100% full to leak out the top, no? Kinda like a milk jug leaking out the top? It doesn't happen unless you turn the container over.

alan
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
How does a tank leak gas if the sender is on the top of the tank? The tank would have to be 100% full to leak out the top, no? Kinda like a milk jug leaking out the top? It doesn't happen unless you turn the container over.

alan
Yea your right on camaros but on Fords they put the unit in the front of the tank. I cant even begin to tell you why they do that but thats what they did. Probably because on the 65 the tank is mounted by dropping it in from the trunk with no straps. It makes getting it in and out real easy. Only problem is they use a tiny square cut oval ring to seal the sending unit. Real easy to pinch it and it is so tiny I cant see how it does a good job. Like I said it is a brand new tank so I dont have the benefit of 30 years of rust to seal it up(LOL) Anyways gonna pull the tank when I get home and see what I can come up with. Anyone know of a good gas sealant I can use along with the gasket it comes with?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

The silly wogs!!! Well, pull the tank, put some gas in and see where it is coming from.

alan
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I took the car home and wiped it down real good before I started it up. I drove home WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER from work just in case. So went to drain the tank and because it is a replacement tank....no drain plug. So I siphoned it out the old fashion way(mouth full of gas etc...) Took the tank out. Definately is leaking right from the sending unit itself right at the bottom. I carefully inspected the tank and there is No cracks around at all. Like I said brand new tank, ring, gasket and sending unit. So I pulled the sending unit out and inspected the ring. It is fine. Lubed it and put it back into place tighted the tang ring in place and if I put my hand on the outlet fitting I can twist the sending unit backa and forth. SOO AGGRAVATING!! The gasket ring they give you with the sending unit is so small. Almost feels like it has to be thicker or something. I even tried bending the holding tabs in a little so the ring will go tighter but it still will slide with a little effort twisting back and forth. SOMEONE has had to have the same problem. Do they make a thicker O ring type of gasket like the chevys have? This one is round but has a squarish cut to it.

I also heard about the vented caps but if I leave the tank with the gas cap off I still have the same problem. VERY FRUSTRATING to say the least. Is there any type of sealant that can be used to help this. Fuel leaks not only smell bad but are dangerous as you can imagine.. Thanks in advance.

Mark
TOOFUN
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Mark
I have a 57 chevy with the same problem. The 57 also has the sending unit on the front side of the tank. After trying several things to stop the leaking, I did a Google search and found this product and no more leaking. VersaChem gasket sealant #2,leak-proof. The part # is 23009 and I got it at either Auto Zone or Oreilly's. Worked great for me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Permatex #2 is good as well. It is fuel proof and non-hardening. Use some on both sides of the assembly, let it sit for a few minutes to get tacky, then assemble and leave it for a day before refilling.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It could be the tank flange(?) where the sending unit sits onto is not flat, or on the same plane.

Pull the sending unit out, chalk the gasket, then install the unit and remove the unit to see witness mark on unit for sealing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks everyone.. I am going to try the permatex #2 or versachem which ever one is at my local autozone.. I really think it could be a bad match between the sending unit and the repro tank but the drip is so small it is just enough to be annoying so I really think the sealant will work as long as it is rated to be gasoline tolerant. Although the guy with the 57 chevy used it and he has the same tank setup as my mustang so it should be good to go. MAN I LOVE THIS SITE! I always get the best info from team camaro and you all have proved me right again..even though I currently have a FORD! lol..

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode