Motor stubles when I romp on it - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dnult

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 09, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Motor stubles when I romp on it

I just put in a new motor specs here....https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162586

And everytime I step on the gas the motor stumbles and the catches after a few seconds. The carb is a holley street avenger 670 completly stock from the box. I was told its the accelerator pump cam. But im not really familiar with holleys yet. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 09, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: Motor stubles when I romp on it

I had the same exact problem and it was the accelerator pump adjustment. Mines not perfect yet but not as annoying. Check out holleys site to get the adjustment specs. Youll need some of those flat shims to check it
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 09, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I had the same problem and it was cured with larger jets in the carb. If adjusting the accelerator pump adjustment doesn't resolve the stumble try larger jets.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 09, 07:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

I have a 770 Street Avenger and am having the same problem. I will adjust the accelerator pump first, then try larger jets.
Thank You for the advice.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 09, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
I had the same problem and it was cured with larger jets in the carb. If adjusting the accelerator pump adjustment doesn't resolve the stumble try larger jets.
How do I know when to stop advancing the cam pump and switch to changing jets?

Thanks,
Chris

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 09, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Purchased the accelerator cam pump kit today.but does anyonehave any answer to my last question? Or is more like a trial and error thing?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 09, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

The Holley web site should tell you which pump cam has what pump volume. If you get to the largest cam and you still have the stumble, you can swap out the acc. pump nozzle to a larger one. The nozzle size is stamped on the nozzle itself. Carefully remove it using a phillips head screw driver making sure the throttle blades are closed. It is trial and error, but what you are describing is an acc. pump shot issue 9/10 times.

Check here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Accelera...ce%20Parts.asp

http://www.holley.com/types/Pump%20D...%20Nozzles.asp

alan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Changed out the cam pump for the correct one and I runs "better". No hesitation but every once and awhile it will backfire through the Carb. I havent messed with the squirters yet, could that still be the problem? According to holley my carb has 0.031 pump discharge nozzle. What size do I need to go to?

Chris

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

You might try going up one more step on the plastic cam for a bigger pump shot.

alan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 08:50 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

check out Holley's website. They have a video specifically regarding the accel pump, cam, nozzle, etc....I have the same problem and same carb. I will be picking up part #121-135 from Kragen. It's a 0.035" hole size.

Gary
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I also run a 670 and 90% of the problem was corrected by switching to full manifold vacuum and changing my VA can. John Hinkley's timing tech advice is not to be taken lightly.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech

Carb adjustments can be tricky because any one setting affects the others. As a result, it's easy to find a knob (like accellerator pump cams) and tweak it until you're off in the weeds - fix one problem and introduce another. That 670 carb should be a good match for your 350 motor. If this is a new carb, it should be set to factory specs. If you've tweaked stuff, put it back to factory specs.

Timing is a critical factor affecting off idle performance. So don't over look timing as a factor. And the comments above related to vacuum advance are very important as well.

Vacuum leaks are another prime culpret. Remove the carb and carefully inspect the base gasket(s) to make sure they have a good witness mark indicating a good fit between the carb base and the intake manifold. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and the holley accelerator pump lever was contacting the number #1 runner making a huge vacuum leak. After installing a 3/8" phenolic spacer the vacuum leak went away. Another good place for vacuum leaks is at the intake manifold gaskets. Of all the methods used to find leaks (propane, starting fluid, WD-40), I like to use plane old water. Squirt water around the gasket area with the engine running while listening for sucking sounds.

Use a vacuum gauge to baseline your motor and measure improvements as you make your adjustments. The vacuum gauge will tell you alot about timing, vacuum leaks, and valve adjustments that will affect off-idle performance. Take things one step at a time so you can measure / see the effect of a single change. It's doubtful you'll need anything above an orange accelerator pump cam and I wouldn't be surprised if the carb didn't come with one already.

My money is on the vacuum leak / timing issue.
kev4374 likes this.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badasschevy123 View Post
Purchased the accelerator cam pump kit today.but does anyonehave any answer to my last question? Or is more like a trial and error thing?
Go ahead and change the jets back to the holly stock out of the factory for your modle carb. I have a 600 cfm and use 66 jets at just above sea level. If you are way up in altitude you may have to jet down due to the lack of oxygen (like 4000 or 5000 feet and higher). You may also want to increase the or decrease the accelerator pump knozzle. May not be getting enough gas on initial acceleration. Anyway, stock jets for your carb should be fine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 09, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I went up 2 sizes on the squirter size on my 670. I spoke with Holley & they advised me to do this first. It definately was more responsive, but it would backfire once every so often, but only after getting back in the thottle quicky after having coasted for a short time. I have since sold the car & now have a 67 w/LS1 I will never go back to a carb, I'm spoiled now. I wish I could have tinkered with it a little more. Like to have tried the vacuum advance tip.
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode