PCV Problem need advice... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

PCV Problem need advice...

OK here we go again.

Quick question on my PCV ( billet PCV). Should i be able to suck and blow threw my PVC while its off the valve cover and on the valve cover. I have a feeling this thing is NOT doing its job.

Also i bought another PCV (plastic in line PCV) and it sucks in to the carb from my valve covers but not back into the valve cover from the carb... I hope this is clear.

Thank guys and yes its still sucking in oil from my PCV and my motor guy said to just restrict it from sucking so much PSI.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 12:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: PCV Problem need advice...

The PCV valve is a one-way valve allowing the carb to pull the fumes from the engine, but not allow the air flow to reverse. I always heard to shake a PCV valve and if it rattles it is okay to use.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
The PCV valve is a one-way valve allowing the carb to pull the fumes from the engine, but not allow the air flow to reverse. I always heard to shake a PCV valve and if it rattles it is okay to use.
You are correct just cleaned it out and it dose rattle and holds a resistance from allowing air to come back in to the valve cover.
Thanks you

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 01:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

What Andrew said...

I know I didn't get mine from the same place but I have almost the exact same (housing anyway) one you do and am not having any issues. I know I'm not making the power you are though either. If yours is like mine it does come apart so you can clean it out... If you are not making enough vacuum it won't open so that shouldn't cause an oiling problem.

Since it is an oiling issue, maybe your pumping too much oil into the valve covers and it's getting past your baffle. I have the same baffle you do and it works fairly well, since installing it I went from a qt in five hundred miles down to a half qt in 1500 - 2000 miles.

I would try making a baffle for your baffle. Others not knowing what baffle you are using might scoff but try cutting a strip of tin to shield the holes in the baffle. You can screw it into one of the holes and wrap it around covering but not touching the other holes. Does that make sense? The bottom line is if the oil can't get to the PCV valve it can't get sucked into the carb...

Just courious, what oil pump are you using in the beast? Stock, high volume or high pressure? I think it's the high volume that is known for sucking the pan dry faster than it can drain back, if the oil is not in the pan it's up under the valve covers...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
What Andrew said...

I know I didn't get mine from the same place but I have almost the exact same (housing anyway) one you do and am not having any issues. I know I'm not making the power you are though either. If yours is like mine it does come apart so you can clean it out... If you are not making enough vacuum it won't open so that shouldn't cause an oiling problem.

Since it is an oiling issue, maybe your pumping too much oil into the valve covers and it's getting past your baffle. I have the same baffle you do and it works fairly well, since installing it I went from a qt in five hundred miles down to a half qt in 1500 - 2000 miles.

I would try making a baffle for your baffle. Others not knowing what baffle you are using might scoff but try cutting a strip of tin to shield the holes in the baffle. You can screw it into one of the holes and wrap it around covering but not touching the other holes. Does that make sense? The bottom line is if the oil can't get to the PCV valve it can't get sucked into the carb...

Just courious, what oil pump are you using in the beast? Stock, high volume or high pressure? I think it's the high volume that is known for sucking the pan dry faster than it can drain back, if the oil is not in the pan it's up under the valve covers...
Yeah Dennis,
I took it apart and clean it out and it is working correctly now, but i also put a restricter in the PCV hose that and only allows 1/8 to flow threw it now.

If this doesn't work then i will try to make a baffle for the baffle like you said. I did a test first with a clear plastic fuel filter to trap the oil (and yes there was oil). But this was befor i restricted it and so far so good.

It dose have a high volume oil pump with the Moroso 6qt pan with kick-out sump, scraper & windage tray screen. Plus they used oil restricters because on the dyno it was pushing more then they wanted threw the top end and to the valve covers.

The biggest problem now is my exhaust valve seals, because as you know Brodix doesn't use them on the exhaust and if i make it to any more car shows this year, they are gonna have me park this beast in the smoking section (i don't mined smokers), but dam if this thing keeps smoking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode