Squealing?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 09, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Send a message via Yahoo to Sgtbusa1969
Squealing??

Wonder if anyone might be able to help me in the right direction. Today took the car out and really loud squeal like a brake was making the noise. Got back and bleeded the brakes and took out again, noise is still there but now my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor before i can stop? I stopped brought it back and removed the cover of the master cylinder and fluids are full. Now here is the part where i am stumped, i put the cover back on and tried to pull the bar back up on top of the master cylinder, but it will not go back up. Is it supposed to be really really hard to put that back on? When i was taking it out last i noticed that when I turned the wheel to the right even slightly is when I get that squeal. Any help or maybe a direction i can start working would be alot of help. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1969 Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 12:32 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Squealing??

If we are talking about front disc brakes here I would suspect a stuck brake caliper (or both). The calipers are supposed to "float" on the pins to enable both pads to squeeze the disc rotor at the same time. If a caliper is stuck on a pin the outboard pad probably isn't moving. Since you still have some brake action, chances are that the pistons are still free and applying pressure to only one side of the brake rotors ( not squeezing with both pads). It takes a lot of pedal to stop when only one pad is grabbing. Once the pads glaze over they can cause the squeel. Also, the bail for the brake cyl cover is pretty tight but it should snap on/off simply using a screwdriver for leverage......Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Ok, I guess Ill try to take a look at the pads, and go from there. Thanks for the info. Ill let you know.

1969 Camaro

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a squeal when turning the wheels, do you have power steering and have you checked the fluid level?

As far as the issues with the brakes now, it sounds like you got some air in the system during the bleeding. How did you bleed the brakes?

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Ill check power brake fluid.Well had the wife pump the brakes 3 times and on the 3rd time had here hold it down. Then unscrewed the nipple on each just for a sec to let air out.

1969 Camaro
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Ok, well power steering fluid was empty so I filled that up. But its still making that really loud noise, but again only when I turn the wheel right at all. Should I replace all the brake pads?

1969 Camaro
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech

Ok, now is the squealing only when the car is rolling, or does it do it just sitting still?

If the power steering fluid was empty, you could have a damaged pump.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Only when im moving, is when I get that noise.

1969 Camaro
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtbusa1969 View Post
Only when im moving, is when I get that noise.
How fast? How many miles on these brakes? How often is this car driven? I am thinking beyond the point that we aren't simply looking for a worn out pad with a brake wear indicator squealing....

I pointed towards a stuck caliper because I did have this problem a few years back. (It was on a older Chevy van, but it's the same brake system basically). I would start by taking the calipers off and checking that everything is free. Check and clean the pins, bushings and rubber rings. (No need to disconnect the brake hoses unless you need to repair or replace the calipers.) Look for grooves in the rotors. Grooves are no good. If the pads are glazed but still have plenty of life left, simply scuff with some sandpaper to de-glaze. Make sure the outboard pad is secure in the caliper when installing. Lube up the pins and re-assemble.

While the calipers are off check the wheel bearings. Repack/replace if there are any issues. Hope this helps....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 07:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Are you sure it not just the squealers on the brake pads. Your bakes may be worn enough to begin sqealing.

1967 RS/SS 4K
1967 RS D-2 Z/28
1967 Pacer 4P -
1968 RS/SS L35 Conv.
1969 Z11
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You said it squeals only when moving. Have you revved the engine in neutral to see if it squeals?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Yea, i thought that it might just be a belt but of course not that easy.

1969 Camaro
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Try taking the pads out (if they're still good) and putting some disc brake quieter goo on the back of them.

Also, don't be so sure that the power steering was empty. There's a full cold and full hot on the stick. The fluid barely touches the stick when full cold. Check it hot to make sure it didn't get overfilled when you were troubleshooting.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 09, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Yea, haha you guessed right. It was full and yes I did over fill the hell out of it. Im gonna take out the pads now and check them out. Forgot to mention, is the caliper suppose to be really loose if at all? Seems where to me. Thanks again for the info and Ill let yall know when I get done how it turns out.

1969 Camaro
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 09, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim Hackett

Well I found out what happen. Took the tire off and notice the rotor was loose moved it and realized it was really loose. Took if off to found a shattered inner bearing. Yea and to top it off, the bearing in the front was melted onto the spindle. Lucky I meet a guy named Andy, who has a shop right by my house and was nice enuff to cut the welded on bearing off. Spindle should be ok just need to smooth it out. But then looked close at the rotor and it had a crak in it so yea new one from napa getting tomorrow. Well that should stop that noise, but at a cost to me not realizing it sooner. Well guess you can only learn from mistakes. Thanks though for all the help and Ill keep ya posted on the rebuild.

1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode