91 Camaro v6 problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

91 Camaro v6 problems

Ok, i have a 91 camaro 3.1 v-6 and it is having a weird problem. It will run fine for about a day and then will start sputtering and cut off. I had a carbon build up and took my whole exhaust off and cleaned it and it ran good for about 8 hours and then when i cranked it, it would start good then when you try to give it gas, it shuts off.

i have changed fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, map sensor, tps, and cleaned the exhaust thoroughly.

still acts up after a short time of driving! Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 91 Camaro v6 problems

EGR valve sealing good?

Welcome to the Club!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. I checked my EGR valve and it seems to be fine. I did notice that when my car is getting ready to shut off it is getting a surge of backpressure like the hiss you get before a car would backfire but the car never backfires. It has me clueless! Someone told me I might have some sort of trash in my gas whether it be dirt or water, but i tried gas treatment made to get water out of gas and still the same problem.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you believe you have too much backpressure, you can measure the pressure.

If you have an AIR injection tube to the exhaust manfold, remove the divertor vavle, the oval thing screwed into the tubing, and adapt with a 12"-15" hard line from the adapters, due to heat from the exhaust, and a rubber hose to inside the interior, a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge.

If you don't have AIR tube, unscrew the O2 sensor and adapt there. Now, take the car for a drive, at 30 MPH, floor it up to 55 MPH and gauge pressure should not be above 3 PSI. If so, restrictive/clogged exhaust, bad cat convertor or plugged muffler, kinked tubing. The engine has to be under a load, test will not work in the driveway, unless its heavily clogged.

Only way to check an EGR valve is to remove it and while its upside down, pour gas into one port and hope you don't see gas in the other port.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I checked my egr the way you explained and checked my exhaust and they both were fine. I found my bleeder valve on my fuel rail and when i tried to bleed the gas it came out green and black. Chance that i may have got trash in my gas tank because i found out someone tried to break in my car and also stole 1000 dollars worth of work tools from my employer.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Old fuel can be a problem. Probably on the injector screens also as they have a fine mesh screen to filter even more than the line filter.

Good find for the bleed screw, sucks what you found, and to being a victim.

'
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Today i pulled my fuel rail and injectors and cleaned them thoroughly. I put everything back together and got the car running but it runs for about 2 minutes and turns off. I just put a new fuel pump in earlier this week and i was told that its not working properly. you can hear it turn on but then if you turn the key off and back on nothing! Could this be the Fuel Pump Relay? Please help
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There is a time out from every stroke. Try after 30 seconds to a couple minutes.

You might remove the f/pump relay and wire the pump socket with a jumper to the red wires for power, it will run constantly, but will help you to see if it is a fuel delivery problem and run longer than 2 minutes.

Another idea is to wire in a trouble light bulb on ign power to the distributor, also to injector power, the black wire(s), so you can see if if it is ign power or injector power failing. Could be ign module inside the dist cap failing from heat. Thermo gun to monitor temp?

'
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Hey Everett, Thanks for all the help. I finally got my camaro back on the road.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome. And your problem was_______?

'
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech

If you've got crap in your fuel rails then the filter most certainly does to. Often times the car will run fine until the filter paper gets saturated with debri. Then you shut it off and a few hours later it will run again because the debri settles away.

I've seen brand new filters go bad in a mater of weeks because a dirty fuel system was treated with cleaner that liberated a lot of junk that made it's way to the filter. I might suggest replacing the filter. Put a few takes of good gas with a fuel system cleaner in it through and then change the filter again.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode