Hot engine - no start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hot engine - no start

On hot days when my bigblock gets up to temp, it does not start. It's not all the time, just occasionally. When it does it, I don't even get a click out of the starter. If I wait 15 minutes, it starts right up. Is this a case of a starter issue or just excessive heat from the headers on the starter that could be answered with an insulator wrap on the starter? Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Hot engine - no start

Sounds like the heat is getting to your solenoid. A heat shield may help, or this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-7629/

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 03:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

0r a hi torque starter.
this is a common issue with GMs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I had the same problem and went with a Tilton mini high torque....

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

The old Chevy hot no start story again. I've had lots of Chevys and never had this problem. You need good fat battery cables, good grounds, and a good starter. The stock high torque type GM starters will work fine if you get a decent one. Most of the stuff from Autozone and the like is junk. I have the Jegs version of that starter on my Camaro, no heat shield, battery in trunk, 1/0 gauge cables, and it cranks just fine hot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
The old Chevy hot no start story again. I've had lots of Chevys and never had this problem. You need good fat battery cables, good grounds, and a good starter. The stock high torque type GM starters will work fine if you get a decent one. Most of the stuff from Autozone and the like is junk. I have the Jegs version of that starter on my Camaro, no heat shield, battery in trunk, 1/0 gauge cables, and it cranks just fine hot.

Well, it's the original BBC starter, cables, etc from 69. I picked up a Thermotec starter wrap today to try. We will see if that does the trick.

69 SS396 Camaro, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA / UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop front springs/sway bar, QA'1's, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Besides a heat soak issue, you may have a bad connection somewhere in your electrical system that is heating up and creating enough resistance that the starter won't engage. The old heat soak problem is a common diagnosis - heat from the headers heats up the solenoid, increases it's internal resistance and prevents the starter from engaging. So it seems obvious that the longer the car runs, the longer the headers cook the starter solenoid and the worse the no-start-when-hot issue becomes. But when you think about it, any bad connection in the electrical system's primary voltage circuit will act the same way. The longer the car runs, the longer current flows through the primary circuit (and the bad connection) and the more heat (and more resistance) develops.

Use a digital volt-ohm meter (DVM) to measure from the battery (+) to the starter solenoid (S) wire while a helper cranks it. If you see less than 0.05V drop on the meter everything between the battery and the starter 'S' terminal is good. Repeat the test on the ground measuring between the battery (-) and the starter / solenoid shell while having a helper crank it. Less than 0.05V tells you everything in both the hot and ground circuits is in good shape and you probably have a heat soak issue.

If either test shows significantly more than 0.05V, you've isolated a circuit branch with a bad connection. You can use the same voltage drop measuriing technique to isolate the exact component. For example, measuring between the incoming power connection and IGN terminal on an ignition switch with the ignition on or engine running will verify the IGN contacts inside the switch. Measuring the drop on a wire that passes through the firewall bulkhead connector will verify the connection between the outer and inner half of the connection.

But start big as I describe in the first paragraph measuring from the battery to the load point. That will tell you whether further voltage drop measurements are warranted or if it's time to spend some coin on a new starter / solenoid.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode