So whenever i unlock my doors, the alarm goes off - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Donald

So whenever i unlock my doors, the alarm goes off

I just bought my 98 camaro, v6, back in june, it comes with a remote starter that also has a lock button on it that occasionally works, so everytime i exit my car after parking it, i press the lock door button on the door, so both doors lock, later when coming back out to unlock my car doors, i put the key in the driver side door, open it, and right then the alarm goes off, then i have to rush into my car and start it up or else everyone will just look over and be suspicious, so if someone could help me out, i would really appreciate it, and instead of starting another topic, my remote started, it works, and can i drive without the keys in the ignition or do they have to be in, and i noticed, is the only way to shut the car after remote starting to press the button again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tristan

Send a message via AIM to Mav68erick
Re: So whenever i unlock my doors, the alarm goes off

usually if u remote start you get in and hit the brake pedal and it shut off

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
68 Camaro

I Hate Spotwelds
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 07:12 PM
Dre

Well, I had a remote start in my Chevy Truck, it was aftermarket from the dealer. It pretty much ran off of it's own system, I had two fobs, one was the remote start fob and the other was the orginal that came with the truck. They are pretty much two different systems, I used to do the same thing, I would use the after market fob to lock and arm the car, then use the factory one to unlock it, which set the alarm off everytime. So I had to use one or the other, not both. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

If the system gets armed with the remote you then have to then later disarm the alarm by hitting an unlock button on the remote. This will turn off the alarm. By arming it with the remote and then unlocking the door and opening it the alarm is still active and should sound off.
If you can remote start the car and then drive, steer it, and use the brakes without the keys being in the ignition then it is wired wrong and probably the column is broke as most late model columns do not allow the shifter to be moved out of park (unless it's a manual transmission) and key cylinder is also tied into a steering shaft lock.
I would find the main brain for the remote starter system and find out who made it and get an owner's manual for it so you know how it should work (although who knows what options might be wired into it also).

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
If the system gets armed with the remote you then have to then later disarm the alarm by hitting an unlock button on the remote. This will turn off the alarm. By arming it with the remote and then unlocking the door and opening it the alarm is still active and should sound off.
If you can remote start the car and then drive, steer it, and use the brakes without the keys being in the ignition then it is wired wrong and probably the column is broke as most late model columns do not allow the shifter to be moved out of park (unless it's a manual transmission) and key cylinder is also tied into a steering shaft lock.
I would find the main brain for the remote starter system and find out who made it and get an owner's manual for it so you know how it should work (although who knows what options might be wired into it also).

Jim
Thanks dude, ill be sure to go try out both of those things =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1998, alarm, camaro, lock, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode