Unwanted Acceleration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Dre

Unwanted Acceleration

I just had a question to whom maybe could give me a solution to my problem, I am not too savvy when to comes to classic cars, but do own one. I have a 68 SS totaly restored, but I was not the one whom did the restoration. My problem is when I go to lightly press my accelerator its sometimes goes to the floor, by itself! I def was frightened the first time it happend, but it seems to release after about a couple seconds. I checked the return springs leading to the carebutor to make sure nothing was catching under the hood. Only thing that I could imagine it could be is the carebutor, but it appears to be a new one, nor did I have this problem since I owned the car for at least 3 months now. I have asked other people and they can't imagine what the problem could be. Just seeing if I could get some idea's as to what it could be, or has it ever happened to anyone?

Last edited by genitorep; Sep 5th, 09 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 07:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Unwanted Acceleration!! Please help

If it's what I think it is you have a broken motor mount on the driver side of the engine... This allows the engine to lift up and push on the throttle linkage.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Dre

So having this broken motor mount would cause it to take off like that with the slightest touch? Also is there a way I can visually check to see if the motor mount is broken or not?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by genitorep View Post
So having this broken motor mount would cause it to take off like that with the slightest touch? Also is there a way I can visually check to see if the motor mount is broken or not?

Yes, you step on the gas, the motor lifts and it pulls the pedal to the floor. You can verify a broken mount by opening the hood and holding your foot on the brake with the car in gear and give it a little throttle. if the motor lifts way up on the drivers side the mount is broken.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave
Re: Unwanted Acceleration

It does have the symptoms of a broken engine mount, just not sure how that would be overlooked in a car that is said to have been totally restored. Maybe a defective part.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When the 1st gens came out there where a couple accidents, and a recall....a wire rope was hooked either side of the mount bolts thru the manifold to stop this happening...since then mounts have been redesigned so is not an issue...
It sounds like broken mount...
Put a jack under the engine, lift up slowly and watch the mount see if it is broken...
The other thing could be is the linkage spline on the engine side of the firewall... right up against the fire wall....is worn or loose..

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Dre

Thanks, I will definitely check it out, hopefully that will be the problem, becasue of right now she is garaged indefinitely (I'm too scared to drive her)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 09:21 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Back in 1969 my 68 developed that sudden acceleration and it was the motor mount.
Dealership did the wire rope as a recall and later I used the redesigned motor mounts.
Steptoe describes the safest way to check to see if the mount is broken.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
becasue of right now she is garaged indefinitely (I'm too scared to drive her)
Sensable guy 10 out of 10 m8

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 02:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Yes, very scary. I was sitting at a light and took off when the light turned green. Next thing I know the pedal started to move by itself and I am squealing tires through the middle of the intersection. I was very lucky there was no one in front of me. My guess is (as others have already suggested) it's a broken engine mount on the drivers' side. I verified that it was broken engine mount on a back road with the hood open...

Matt

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
...since then mounts have been redesigned so is not an issue...
I'll definately disagree with this one. When I rebuilt my motor I put the new style mounts in. The drivers side broke last year while I was on my way to work. I was stopped at a light making a left turn. when the light changed I went to make the turn and ended up spinning doughnuts in the intersection until I could kill the ignition. Was not a fun time! This may be an isolated incident, but it can happen with the new style. I took it back to NPD when I got a replacement set and even they were surprised.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I do wonder if there are several 'versions' in the market..espec with the adventof chinese quality crap parts on the market
The new style has lugs which catch, so if broken the lift of the engine is limitted.
And when just driving around, one doesnt notice anything...till u put your boot in...
I just wonder how manty do regular maintaince and of those check thing like engine/trans mounts, brakes, brake hoses, ball joints, tie rod ends etc at each oil change....or just ***-u-me ?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I had that happen to me with a 68 327 CDN Pontiac right in front a a Police Station. I had to put a Cop in the drivers seat and told him to be prepared to turn off the ignition or I would have been charged with careless and unnecessary noise.

I knew a guy with a Straight 6 in a Pontiac Station Wagon (CDN) during the 60's with broken motor mounts and rather then replace the mounts he installed longer rad hoses so when the motor fell over it wouldn't break the hoses - One day at an intersection during rush hour a Cop directing traffic because of failed lights, waved at John to proceed and the motor jumped up and fell over - right in the middle of the intersection and stopping traffic in every direction. We immediately got out, opened the hood. When the cop saw the motor laying on its side, he started to swear. John said no problem, we will be out of your hair in a second Officer. We reached down and lifted the motor upright. I can still see the Cop waving at us to get out of his work space - LOL

GM designed a locking Motor mount and went to a Throttle Cable rather then a linkage bar to minimize the effect if mounts let go.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Wow I would have not put the two together. I had a pedal sticking to the floor problem back in the 80s. Kindof frightening until you get used to it. Now thinking about it if the motor twisted a bit the linkege would not return. I am always learning on this site. Thanks. Brian.

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Dre

Well, I checked the motor mount by putting the car in gear and stomping on the accelerator and sure enough the driver side of the motor would come up a good couple of iches vice the passenger side which stayed still. Changed out the mount and did the same test and the engine stay put, then took it on a road test, and I was not friendly with the car while doing it. Sure enough it seems the problem has been rectified. I appreciate all the advice, it truly helped out a lot. I do have one more question, how come it's the driver side mount that goes bad? It seems like a few of people told me to check the driver side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode