Motor Running Rough...HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 09, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Motor Running Rough...HELP!

Recently when I was driving my motor just started to run really rough. Its not backfiring or anything, It feels like Its has a slight miss and or loading up with fuel. EVERYTHING is new (less than 100 Miles) New wires, New Plugs, Msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, pro billet dizzy. I pulled the plugs and they dont have any visible defects. I put a bottle of b12 in the gas and no difference. Before the b12 the exhaust smelt "different" and I can see a cloud of fumes when driving. Timmimg is still correct. Could a carb rebuild be in order? Its not getting any worse but its still there. Any thing that yall can suggest would help.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Motor Running Rough...HELP!

Are all the cylinders burning fuel, each exhaust hot as shown with a temp gun?
Vacuum gauge steady (good) or shaky (bad)? Valves too tight, too loose, misfire, leaky intake/carb gasket, etc?
Fuel level alittle too high?

Alittle more initial advance?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

I do have a little bit of leakage coming from the bottom of the carb gasket. Could that be it?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Your gasket leak could be the problem. If fuel is coming out air can get in.

Last edited by Moonpie; Sep 17th, 09 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Didn't notice latest post
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thanks I'll replace it this weekend and see if it helps

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

What carb are you running? Blown Holley power valve? If you are dumping fuel, it could be float level as well. To see if you have a leak at the carb base, spray some quick start fluid around the base, if the rpm goes up you have a leak.

alan
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

Check the plugs. If you lost a cam load, hung a valve, or had an ignition problem it would show up on the plugs. If all the plugs are the same or if they follow the pattern of the intake runners you probably have a problem higher up the intake path or down the exhaust path.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Sry for the delayed reply. But, I've changed out the gaskets and added a 1" spacer. I had the carb off (holley 670 avenger) for a couple of dayscand when I put it back on it ran great for about 20 miles or so then same problem. I check the resistance in the plug wires and the were with in msd specs. I also checked the plugs and the back 4 on the motor had unburnt fuel on them. So then I checked the float levee and they were good! I'm lost now. Maybe some trash in the nettle and seat? Or could it be that power valve? Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

If it were the power valve, you wouldn't get 20 good miles before it went to heck. It would run poorly right out of the gate.

Guys, if the 4 rear cylinders are wet, would that indicate dumping of fuel in the secondaries?

alan
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

^^^^^ that was my thoughts

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

I took out the neetle and seat on the primary, cleaned it and reinstalled it and turned 1/4 turn passed from when I took it out. ITS A MILLION TIMES BETTER! But there is still a small stumble when accelerating hard. I'm thinking that the spark plugs are fauled out. Should this fix it self or should I go and change them out anyway.

Chris

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

First, pull the plugs, clean them with a brass brush and some fine emory paper on the electrodes. Regap the plugs and install them.

You need to check your secondaries to see if they are dumping open to soon and causing the bog. More than likely, it is the accelerator pump.

I would look to the shooter of the accelerator pump. You want to see gas squirt just as as soon the carb is moved open. If it does, great, now you have to experiment with the pump shot by switching the plastic cam for a larger pump shot. In some instances, it might be necessary to go with a bigger squirter nozzle.

Check here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Pump%20D...%20Nozzles.asp

and here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Accelera...ce%20Parts.asp

I would get the kit with the assorted cams so you can inch up on the solution.

good luck

alan

P.S., if that doesn't solve it, I would look at the distributor advance curve.

Last edited by alanrw; Oct 7th, 09 at 04:48 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
First, pull the plugs, clean them with a brass brush and some fine emory paper on the electrodes. Regap the plugs and install them.

You need to check your secondaries to see if they are dumping open to soon and causing the bog. More than likely, it is the accelerator pump.

I would look to the shooter of the accelerator pump. You want to see gas squirt just as as soon the carb is moved open. If it does, great, now you have to experiment with the pump shot by switching the plastic cam for a larger pump shot. In some instances, it might be necessary to go with a bigger squirter nozzle.

Check here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Pump%20D...%20Nozzles.asp

and here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Accelera...ce%20Parts.asp

I would get the kit with the assorted cams so you can inch up on the solution.

good luck

alan

P.S., if that doesn't solve it, I would look at the distributor advance curve.
I already changed out the cam pump and squirter and it ran perfectly! then after two weeks or so it started to go downhill from there. I ordered some new plugs and a neetle and seat assembly. Im still leaning towards the neetle and seat assembly. Like I said before I over tightened the neetle and seat a 1/2 a turn more than when it came out and It ran great. But its slowley starting to start missing again. I'll change those things out and I'll keep yall informed.

Chris

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

In post #11 you said it was running much better after adjusting the needle and seat. But now it is starting to deteriorate again? Are the plugs black and sooty? Damp with gas? I am wondering if the plugs are the right heat range. If they are too cold, they will foul out.

alan
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

they are very sooty but only on the back 4?! I ordered some acell shortys that have a heat range of 7. They are going into afr eliminator heads on a 383. If that makes any difference. I'm think that the plugs are just fouled and it's loading up again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode