electric fuel pump issue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

electric fuel pump issue

67 camaro electric fuel pump at the rear of vehicle next to tank, after driving about 20 mile the car will stall out and shut off.. when disconnecting the hose at the carb with the ignition key at the "on" position there is no gas coming out at all, i have to hit the pump and ect than it pumps again and the car starts,, this is now the 2nd pump i have bought from pepboys in less than a yr,,, am i just buying cheap parts or could there be another problem.

whats odd about this issue is it only does this after driving 20 miles etc.. maybe pressure builds up and causes the pump to stop working?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: electric fuel pump issue

I have a similiar problem with a customer's car. We had the car running to break in the cam and all of a sudden the engine stopped running and we didn't hear the fuel pump running. I checked the pumps fuse and it was fine, checked the switch and it was fine, checked for power at the pump and for a ground and it was fine. We let it sit a while and it came back to life and started working. On this car I told the customer the pump may be bad. I also told him there may be an internal thermal switch inside that tripped but I'm unfamiliar with the internals of the holley pump.
It's possible you have had back to back bad ones and maybe for the third one try another brand. I would think on electric fuel pumps if they are dead headed they should be trying all day long to push fuel through them and not shut off.
On yours make sure the electrical connections to it are solid to take that out of the mix.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks i have checked the wires etc, i thought that they either work or they dont work no in between but i think i will buy a holly though summitt, i know its the electrical fuel pump because it totally shuts off than turns back on, i think maybe it gets heated up or it happens when it has been running a while .. either way i just cant bare it any longer i will try a 3rd pump now and spend the 125 bucks if that doesnt work or goes out within a 6 mos time frame i will revert back to a mechanical pump..

honestly i got the car with an electrical pump and im not totally sold on them versus the mechanical regular type pumps.. the odd thing is it only does this after at least 20 miles of driving perfectly lol, that must be when it been on running some time when it has the strain lol..

it about helping others

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might look at Pep Boys replacement policy. Generally, most have a one year policy.

Some pumps by design, heat up if deadheaded because of no internal relief as they are intended for bypass fuel systems, having a return line. Holley pumps are a vane pump, but have an internal relief, if the pump is in a deadhead system. It might be the wrong pump for the application.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 09:45 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Just a hunch but some pumps are pressure sensitive such they shut off when the pressure between the pump and the carb or say a dirty filter builds beyond a specific limit when the fuel flow decreases or stops. This prevents the pump from working too hard and burning out. Most often these type of pumps require an over flow line back to the fuel tank with a Pressure Valve between the carb and the tank.

I believe it is a good idea to run an overflow line with pressure valve whenever an electric pump is used as it maintains constant fuel pressure to the carb and prevents the pump from spinning in fuel that is not flowing causing the pump to burn out or say trip a reset built into the pump.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode