Any toyota techs on board ? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Wayne

Any toyota techs on board ?

My son has a 94 toyota 4x4 pickup 22re automatic trans. The flexplate broke between engine and trans. We got the transmission out without much problem. when i was away from the truck he unbolted the flexplate from the crank and didn't remember if the thick spacer goes between the crank and flexplate or on the converter side with the bolt heads.
We tried it with the spacer next to the crank ,but can only get trans. about 3/4 inch away from engine block . I am sure torque converter is in all the way ,book says 0.787 in. back from front of trans. case. So my thoughts were we may have the spacer in the wrong position. I have searched for some photos or diagrams in my factory service manual but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

work in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: Any toyota techs on board ?

Isn't there an imprint on the spacer from the bolt heads? My alldata shows 1 spacer between crank and flexplate and 1 on converter side of flexplate. Hope this helps.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Driveplate then spacer and torque to 61 ft.lbs.

Dan E.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

So, are you saying that the torque converter is hitting the flywheel before the bellhousing is up against the block?
Seems like most automatic Toyotas have the thick spacer between the crank and flexplate, and the thinner cupped one on the outside of the flexplate. Some have a pin on the spacer indexed to the crank flange.
Just be sure the torque converter is all the way in. Be sure the dowell pins are lubed up. Hope you put a rear main seal in there while you were at it. Maybe that was the reason for removing the flexplate? I usually make paint match marks on that stuff to make it idiot proof 'cause I can be a real idiot sometimes.

Last edited by Chuck; Oct 20th, 09 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E. View Post
Isn't there an imprint on the spacer from the bolt heads? My alldata shows 1 spacer between crank and flexplate and 1 on converter side of flexplate. Hope this helps.

Dan E.
Yes, imprint on thin cupped spacer

work in progress

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
So, are you saying that the torque converter is hitting the flywheel before the bellhousing is up against the block?
Seems like most automatic Toyotas have the thick spacer between the crank and flexplate, and the thinner cupped one on the outside of the flexplate. Some have a pin on the spacer indexed to the crank flange.
Just be sure the torque converter is all the way in. Be sure the dowell pins are lubed up. Hope you put a rear main seal in there while you were at it. Maybe that was the reason for removing the flexplate? I usually make paint match marks on that stuff to make it idiot proof 'cause I can be a real idiot sometimes.
I will check again on torque converter, lube pins (good idea) rear main seal (great idea) ,i'll give it another shot this afternoon ,Thanks guys.

work in progress

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Wayne

Thanks guys had better luck today converter needed to go in a little more, lubed pins, lined up, slid right together.

work in progress

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternutz68 View Post
Thanks guys had better luck today converter needed to go in a little more, lubed pins, lined up, slid right together.
Way to go!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 09:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Checkout http://www.toyotanation.com/ for all your Toy questions. Just like this site but Toyotas. Actually, I believe that site and this site are now owned by the same entity. I signed up as I got one of these too...

Matt

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 05:38 AM
Team Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Checkout http://www.toyotanation.com/ for all your Toy questions. Just like this site but Toyotas. Actually, I believe that site and this site are now owned by the same entity. I signed up as I got one of these too...
Hey Matt - Thanks for the info (link) here. Looks like something that just might come in handy as I have a few Toyota's in the family.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Hey all you Camaro guys with Toyotas. I wrench on Toyotas for a living. So, if you get stuck on a repair I might be able to help. Toyota Nation is a pretty good source of info., but I have seen mis-information on there a few times. Heck, some day I may even own a Toyota, but for now it is just my old Chevys: '41, '67, & '74.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode