69 z28 disc trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

69 z28 disc trouble

i'm working on a 69 z28. it has the single piston calipers and i cannot get pedal pressure after bleeding. i started at rt rear and worked around. bench bled new master. have rear brakes but no front. can't seem to get fluid through front. think i may have bad master but not sure because of valves and distribution block are something i have not worked on before and think i may have missed something. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: 69 z28 disc trouble

This is a common malady. Incorrect intermediate rod can cause this problem. So can the metering, or hold of valve (round one under MC). Make sure the booster-to-pedal rod clevis is adjusted so it provides the necessary free play, and the booster-to-master cylinder rod is correct so it doesn't move the primary piston forward at rest, covering up the compensating port hole. The plunger on the back of the hold off valve needs to be depressed sometimes for the fronts to bleed. To eliminate the possibility of it being bad, put a temporary line in it's place. It's a "metering" or "hold-off" valve; its function is to block any fluid flow to the front calipers until the valve sees 30-40 psi, which opens the valve. (eliminates nose dive when braking). Bleeding by pumping the pedal should open it with no problem, but if you use a pressure bleeder that applies less than 30-40 psi, that isn't enough to open the valve and you have to manually depress the button at the rear of the valve. And sometimes they don't depress. Any air at all in that MC you put in will give you grief also.

The distrubution block has no valving in it at all, it just a has a pressure switch that lights up the warning lamp.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Sauron67MM, thanks for the very informative reply. i thought it would be the valve. the car i'm working on belongs to a friend of mine and his father in law took it apart. don't know why. i have not taken it back apart and not sure if it is rebuildable. i figure it has a calibrated spring and maybe some o rings. i am getting rear brakes at almost full pedal but they do hold the rear tires. have ordered a new one from rick's. that's the only place i have found one. thanks again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
William

Make certain the calipers are not reversed. If the LH is on the right side the bleeder will not be at the highest point. Common error.

William

CRG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Don't throw the origional hold off valve out. Go to William's link, do a search on "hold off valve". Pics and reference for rebuilding sources are there. I can't remember which thread exactly but have read it many times. You'll see a number of threads on frt. brake probs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode