Who runs nitro in their wheels?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Who runs nitro in their wheels??

IVE GOT A 2006 TUNDRA AND IT HAS THE TIRE SENSOR'S FOR LOW AIR PRESSURE..AND, AS MOST OF YOU GUYS KNOW IF A TIRE DROPS PRESSURE THE LOW TIRE LIGHT WILL COME ON IN THE DASH AND YOU USUALLY HAVE TO CHECK ALL 5 TIRES TO SEE WHICH ONE IS LOW AND THEN ADDRESS THAT TIRE ISSUE..ALSO IF THE AIR TEMP DROPS OR RISE'S IT WILL TRIGGER THE LIGHT ON ALSO..HATE IT..LONG STORY SHORT I RUN THE NITRO IN ALL 5 OF MY TIRES AND HAVE THEM SET AT 37PSI AND THEY STAY AT 37PSI NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMP IS OUTSIDE OR HOW LONG IVE BEEN DRIVING..NOW IF MY LIGHT COMES ON I KNOW I GOT A NAIL IN IT AND NOT BECAUSE OF AIR TEMPS OUTSIDE OR DRIVE TIME AFFECTING IT!!!!..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Who runs nitro in thier wheels??

Regular air is 70% nitrogen, I can't see paying the money to have my tires filled with pure nitrogen, especially when i have a compressor in my garage.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 03:29 PM
Tech Team
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Regular air is 70% nitrogen, I can't see paying the money to have my tires filled with pure nitrogen, especially when i have a compressor in my garage.
If you had a car with tire sensor's you would under stand! It's a pain in the butt!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Nitrogen is a more stable gas and doesn't expand like Oxygen does under heat. So you can get more consistent tire pressures, but that benefit is mostly for competition. A side benefit would be less corrosion for steel since there would be less moisture inside the rim. But most wheels are alloy these days...

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
IVE GOT A 2006 TUNDRA AND IT HAS THE TIRE SENSOR'S FOR LOW AIR PRESSURE..AND, AS MOST OF YOU GUYS KNOW IF A TIRE DROPS PRESSURE THE LOW TIRE LIGHT WILL COME ON IN THE DASH AND YOU USUALLY HAVE TO CHECK ALL 5 TIRES TO SEE WHICH ONE IS LOW AND THEN ADDRESS THAT TIRE ISSUE..ALSO IF THE AIR TEMP DROPS OR RISE'S IT WILL TRIGGER THE LIGHT ON ALSO..HATE IT..LONG STORY SHORT I RUN THE NITRO IN ALL 5 OF MY TIRES AND HAVE THEM SET AT 37PSI AND THEY STAY AT 37PSI NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMP IS OUTSIDE OR HOW LONG IVE BEEN DRIVING..NOW IF MY LIGHT COMES ON I KNOW I GOT A NAIL IN IT AND NOT BECAUSE OF AIR TEMPS OUTSIDE OR DRIVE TIME AFFECTING IT!!!!..
That's the best reason to use nitrogen to inflate your tires.......stable pressure leads to better fuel economy and increased tread life. Thanks for sharing the info Bill .

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Brett

I have a car with sensors. Not a big deal! To each his own.

Brett
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 02:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

thought of you this morning mr. bill. must have dipped well into the low 30's here last night and as sure as you posted about this, guess what idiot light came on all shiney and bright when i started the truck this morning!!! time to stop procrastinating and change over to the nitro.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Who runs nitro in thier wheels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon68 View Post
If you had a car with tire sensor's you would under stand! It's a pain in the butt!

I'm with Mark - I use what comes out of my tank at home...
AND - I do have three vehicles with Air Sensors systems on them (two of which I get a report from GM every month on what the pressures actually are )
It's no difference to me than just cheking them every month anyway - the problem was most 'non-car' folks didn't and it leads to lots of tire failures and wasted energy.
With self-service fuel there's no one to check them routinely anymore

The systems are required as standard on all SUV/SUC since like 2004 and are being phased into all others by 2010 - so best get used to them

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 05:16 PM

We can all thank Ford and Firestone for their engineering failures on the older Explorers for the government forcing these waste of money TPMS systems on us
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
thought of you this morning mr. Bill. Must have dipped well into the low 30's here last night and as sure as you posted about this, guess what idiot light came on all shiney and bright when i started the truck this morning!!! Time to stop procrastinating and change over to the nitro.
thats too funny!! You will be glad you did!!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJPE View Post
We can all thank Ford and Firestone for their engineering failures on the older Explorers for the government forcing these waste of money TPMS systems on us
Who do we blame for seat belts?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

I know if I have a tire loosing air or, if it is low when I check it with an ingeiouse device called a tire pressure gauge. I don't need a $&%^$U&%^ idiot light to tell me that! The nitrogen in the tires thing is a big gimmicky way to get more of your money. When I see those green caps on customer cars in our shop I just think what a sucker. I don't like having to tell them that we can't inflate their tires because we do not have the nitorgern equip., and they will have to go back to the tire store that sold them that service. However, all that being said, I know they mfgr. cars with the LCD in mind these days. The owner/driver is less and less responsible for everything. Have a blowout cause your pos underinflated tire failed: sue the mfgr. of the vehicle. Drive into the *** end of somebody because you were staring at your nav. screen: sue Lexus because the foward radar failed. Cripes!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 09, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Easy their chuck...what about the mother ,who runs her minivan to death and brings her van to a lube shop to get it checked over before a long trip and the mechanic doesnt check her air pressure when she got her oil change, meanwhile she has 3 kids screaming in the back all packed up and is drivng 75mph down the highway and just happens to look down at the dash and see's the low tire light on and pulls off the highway to a garage and has it fixed...boy, that light sure did save her from a roll over ..huh??
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 09, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech

I personally don't own a vehicle with air pressure sensors. However, I was just reading a popular mechanics article talking about the two different types and a relearn procedure.

The first type is called indirect TMPS and uses the ABS wheel speed to detect tire rotation speeds. Unfortunately, if your tires aren't worn evenly you can get false pressure detection issues and there isn't much you can do about it other than reset it from the driver controls panel or using a scan tool.

Some vehicles have battery operated pressure sensors called direct reading TMPS in the wheel that transmit the tire pressure to the ECM. These have a relearn procedure you can do that goes something like this...
1) Place the ignition in the ACC position
2) Simultaiously press the keyless entry transmitter's lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp is heard. The system will be in the learn mode.
3) Start with the LF tire. Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 5 to 8 seconds, then wait for the horn to beep. (The article isn't clear if increase/decrease means increase AND decrease or increase OR decrease the pressure). The horn beep can happen before the 5 to 8 seconds has elapsed or up to 30 seconds after.
4) After the horn chirp has sounded repeat step 3 of the next three sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
5) Once the relearn procedure is complete, the horn will chirp twice indicating that the relearn procedure is complete.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

So does the tire shop after mounting the tire onto the rim and have seated the beads, pull an evacuation to remove the atmosphere oxygen inside before applying nitrogen?

If the van blows a tire, Post 13, shame on the Lube Guy, part of vehicle checkout.

Light comes on when 20% loss of pressure from original 'set' pressure is detected.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode