Rebuilt Carb Not Getting Gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 09, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Rebuilt Carb Not Getting Gas

Hope someone can help with this. I just rebuilt a Demon 750 carb and bolted it back up to a stroked 350 I bought a while ago that's in my 68. The carb was off the engine for about 6 months. Problem is I'm not getting any gas to the carb after cranking engine. Traced back thru the regulator and canister filter and not seeing any gas there either. I put a clear plastic line on the filter outlet and sucked until I got gas at the filter, bolted everything up and still nothing. I have a pressure guage in line and not seeing any pressure.
Question - will the mech pump create enough suction alone to pull gas from tank, or is there a prime procedure I need to go through? How long do you need to crank to pull fuel through to the carb? Is there a chance the pump has a problem with dry seals or something like that since it may have been dry for that period of time? One last question - should I be able to suck gas to the carb through the pump to prime the lines all the way to the carb? When I tried, all I got was a bubbling noise coming from the pump.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: Rebuilt Carb Not Getting Gas

Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. You should be ebale to crank the motor 4-6 times and mechanical pump should pull gas to the carb. How are you "sucking" the fuel through the lines? Just curious, gas tastes terrible... dont ask how I know either...
Jess
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Prime the carb thru the bowl vent and fire the engine the rpm from running will run the pump fast enough to move fuel thru the entire system.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Prime the inlet fuel line to pump.
Remove line at pump, remove gas cap, using a shop rag and shop air, place shop blow gun into filler seal with rag, and charge tank with air. When you see fuel at the pump, reconnect the line.

Prime fuel bowl(s) as described earlier and start the engine. Fuel pump should keep the see-thru filter full of fuel.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Please don't hate me for this! Are you out of gas? (bubbling noise)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Real good info, thanks all. Just one dumb question - are the bowl vents the two towers between the venturi's and the center of the bowls? I gotta believe yes, but just want to check.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, the two tubes are the bowl vents.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode