#1 Cylinder dead ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

#1 Cylinder dead ???

I have a 355 with 650 double pump,hei ign. Motor has less than 500 miles on rebuild and it recently started to have that rough dead cylinder idle shake. I did a cylibder balance and #1 is dead ,header is barely hot when running. Did compression and all cylinders have 165lbs + or - 5lbs. Swapped plugs,wires and cap all fine. Removed plug and let eng. run with plug wire hooked to plu and plenty of spark. Valve train seems to be moving fine as I removed valve cover and watched them all move freely.
I have recently rebuilt the carb to be safe but not a carb expert so could of missed something and also had a small vaccum leak at intake and so those gaskets were also recently changed. Seems the cylinder is not getting fuel ?? Its a rpm manifold and any help is apprecitted before I tear this down for no reason or to find a reason ?? Thanks, Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Re: #1 Cylinder dead ???

Maybe a rocker on that cyl is too tight holding the valve off the seat?

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 06:22 PM

I had a lifter that acted normally, let the cylinder make compression for a compression test, but when the engine ran, it pumped up and held the valve open. To find the problem I backed the rockers for that cylinder off until I had about a quarter turn slack in the valve train, fired it back up, and the cylinder came back. It turned out that the lifter for one of the valves had internal check valve issues that allowed it to pump up when the oil pressure was up, as in engine running, but acted OK when no oil pressure was present. I found out it was made in Bolivia, sold as a "rebuilder's set" not a brand name set of lifters like they were supposed to be. I replaced all the lifters with a set of new brand name lifters, and all was well.

Regards,

Milton

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

But if the valve wasnt seating how would I have the same compression as other cylinders ? Confused ??

Ok I reread the last statement and I guess it could pump up ? I will try that and back off the rockers before I tear anything apart.
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 06:42 PM
Banned
Ron

That spark plug is most likely fouled!....Change it out for a good one and you'll be OK!
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Wish it was that easy but I have installed 2 new plugs and same result. Even switched plugs and wires from other cylinders still no fire on #1. Will back off the rockers tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help. Chad
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Ok, dug a little deeper. The rockers are not it, back them off until they ticked while running and still dead. The cylinder is only dead at idle, when I rev the eng. #1 cylinder hits fine. I am getting smoke out the tail pipe which I assume is just unburnt fuel once that cylinder ignites ? So it seems I am not getting fuel to #1 at idle any ideas ?
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Also its a 650 double pump carb I just rebuilt because I originally thought it was a carb problem. I dont know much about idle circuits but can a carb on a dual plane intake really cause 1 cylinder to not get fuel ??
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech

No can't be the carb...
The 2 primary barrels supply fuel and air for all 8 cylinders at idle and part throttle and there is no way that it could stop fuel from getting to one cylinder at idle.

Do you have any vacuum connections on the runner for that cylinder? You could try plugging them off.
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yep, sounds like vacuum, but I would re-torque your intake manifold. A vacuum leak there is compatible with each of your symptoms.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

I just replaced the intake gaskets , but I guess I will do it again ?? The vaccum leak is about all I can think of at this point ? I did spray around the intake with no notice of a leak but dont know what else to do and its driving me crazy. Thanks for all the help.
post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 12:32 PM
Guess

Did something maybe fall into the intake and get sucked into the #1 runner? I imagine it would have gone part way into the cylinder by now though.... worth a look.

post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Bump. Anything new Chad?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

I guess when i get time I will pull the intake and replace gaskets again. May be a few days as I am very busy with work and a newborn baby. Thanks for the help.
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

You said the spark was there. Was it yellow or blue? It should be blue, if not, bad dizzie tower? Or, (I know this is a stretch) bad lobe on the dizzie cam affecting the dwell/timing on that one hole?

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode