Ford 302 VALVE ADJUSTMENT...HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 09, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ford 302 VALVE ADJUSTMENT...HELP!

Why cant Ford do things like Chevy... one way to adjust valves for hydraulic and one way for solid.. Not this if it has this type of rocker do this and if it has this type of stud tighten all the way till you cant tighten any more.. frigin nightmare.. Anyways I figured its easier to post a UTUBE video to show what my problem is so PLEASE VIEW IT and post back what you think?? ANY HELP AS USUAL IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!... Thanks in advance!!

P.S. The video is dark but I try to explain the problem I am having.. Also, DAMN I got such a Boston accent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 09, 04:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Ford 302 VALVE ADJUSTMENT...HELP!

Mark are the nuts easy to turn? it sounds like they tighten down to a collar on the stud,
what is the thread size, I don't remember when Furd went to the non adjustable rockers
I know it was kind of early. Good luck
John, With Ky accent
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 09, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

Have a look at this....http://books.google.com/books?id=VU1...stment&f=false Go to page 117.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 09, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fords have locknuts, just like Chevrolet's. You adjusted correctly, just the nuts have lost the locking ability, they are done, fatigued, useful life has been used.

Valve covers may not be tall enough for polylocks, but a good choice.
Another idea is to get a standard hex nut and use it as a lock nut as in double nutting the OE nut.

A shadetree/emergency fix on the locknut is to set it on its side, one of the hex sides, on an anvil and hit the nut with a 2 lb. maul. Locking feature comes back.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys I appreciate it... Only thing is.. when I read that page out of the book, it states that ALL 302 motors produced after mid 68 are non adjustable valves using different size pushrods... My motor is a 71 302 from a Torino but when I line the pushrods up they are all the same size? Like I said just a bit confusing..

Mark
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would adjust as per Chevy and double nut them.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark67ss View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it... Only thing is.. when I read that page out of the book, it states that ALL 302 motors produced after mid 68 are non adjustable valves using different size pushrods... My motor is a 71 302 from a Torino but when I line the pushrods up they are all the same size? Like I said just a bit confusing..

Mark
You are right. They adjust by tightening the nut down to , I think, 30 ft/lbs of torque. It is a positive stop, no adjustment. If you have rockers ticking, you need to change pushrods. The pushrods in the engine actually should all be the same length. Loosen a couple enough to let the plunger return to the top. Then slowly tighten the nut until you just feel the lifter start to collapse, zero lash. Then turn the nut down to the stop. Less than 1/2 turn and you will need the next size longer pushrods. You need the whole set, 16, to do it right. As a side note, I also own a 1964 1/2 Mustang that I have a 302, Dan Williams Toploader in with the original engine stored away.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 09, 04:55 PM

Thiose systems are called "set distance" types, they use a bottleneck stud and special champhered nut, and, they torque down to 20 ft/lbs torque after they hit bottom. Now, Ford has different length push rods, in .060 differences over the median length, to "set the distance" if the median push rod doesn't work correctly. The only way to check if the valve train is good, is to completely collapse the rocker arm into the lifter, and read the distance between the valve stem pad on the rocker, to the stem end. If I remember doing my Ford stuff right, the distance should be .210 +/- .030. To change the valve adjustment, change the length of the push rod.

Some people just tell you to double nut the studs, but that makes for a weaker valve train at the bottleneck on the stud. Poly-Loks are worse, as they will not stay locked down unless the top of the stud is ground flat, and not left with the concave divot in them.

Of course, if the block and/or heads have been decked/cut, and/or a different thickness head gasket has been used, the whole valve train setup procedure must be gone over again, and the correct push rod selected, for EVERY VALVE. If this isn't done, or not done correctly, the lifter will not have its plunger centered in the body, can hold a valve open, or have too much clearance.

As I said, people that do not understand the bottleneck stud systems, and recommend just using a jamb nut, left up the stud from the bottleneck, are just asking for stud breakage at the neck down point of the stud.

That's just the way Ford decided to do it, not a particularly good way to go about getting the valve train/rocker arm geometry correct.

Regards,

Milton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode