Non Camaro: 2001 Malibu - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Non Camaro: 2001 Malibu

The check engine light came on last week, pulled the codes yesterday (Sat). P0420 Catalyst efficiency low bank 1. Replaced one vacuum line that was bad. I tried to clear the codes but the CE light still comes on. Second, it got cold up here last night, went out to warm up the car, and a lot of nois was comming from the rocker arms on the 2-4-6 bank. Looks like a coolant by pass from the water pump has to be moved out of the way to get the VC off. Are they adjustable? Let me know what you guys think. Bill/Sparky....you out there today? Parts store run, be right back.
Thanks guys.

Ken

1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Non Camaro: 2001 Malibu

See if you can swap a left and right bank O2 sensor, clear the code and see where it reappears. From what I've seen, the front / rear sensors often aren't interchangable, but the left and right front / rear are.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks, but there's only on oxygen sensor, before the cat, at the rear towards the firewall. I just repalced it, and still have the check engine light comming on. Should I clear the codes with a scanner? It has a new cat, plugs, pcv, pretty much a fresh tune up. It's not missing or running rough, runs great in fact. Just the dreaded CE light. Any other Ideas?

Ken

1969 Camaro

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
bill

on a 2001 car. you should have 4 o2 sensors. bank 1 bank 2 before cat and then after cat. yes you need to clear codes for light to go out or need to drive it 10 drive cycles without a problem. you may of changed the wrong o2 sensor also.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 03:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Ken, (1)where are you with your problem right now?? You replaced b1s1 o2 sensor and its still on?? ..sounds like the rear bank is running lean, sounds like you need a cat.!! (2)How many miles on the ole girl?..yes they are adjustable but dont do anything to them as of yet!!!(3)where did you buy the cat from?? (4)does it only have one cat.set up or is it two??..(5)how are you clearing the codes??
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks guys,
The check engine light turned off this morning on the way, taking my son to school! It ran great had lots of power when I'd get on it. Did an oil change as well as the sensor yesterday. Was clearing the codes by disconnecting the pos battery cable, no scanner. Yes one cat, I think I replaced the right sensor, it was the only one I could find. None on the left or right bank. 87,000 miles on the car, Meineki did the cat for me.
Thanks,
Ken

1969 Camaro
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

ken ,glad you got it fixed!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks Bill!
Man that oil filter was full of sludge, restrictive as heck. I think I'm getting coolant into the oil via an intake or head gasket, left rear head and block area. I traced down a coolant leak to a loose intake bolt, now it leaks at the left rear as mentioned. Should I trade it in? lol By the way it's the wife's car. I see a few hours of fun doing the head gasket.
Ken

1969 Camaro
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

ken, those cars(3.1's) are notorious for intakes leaking and if you have one leaking, even after you fix the intake gaskets, it will spin a main bearing down the road for sure..especially if it has been leaking into the motor for a while!! thats probally why 2-4-and 6 was knocking!!trade that puppy in!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

I've been telling my wife about the trade in option, but now I think she's finally getting the point. Better now when it's running, than when it blows up! What do you think a '01 Malibu with 87k bring on a trade in? Kind of a bummer for it to happen now before the holidays. Also, what to trade it for? Not another Malibu... Oh yeah, I told her Sparky said so, her response, Who the heck is Sparky? lol...

Ken

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 09, 04:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG69 View Post
I've been telling my wife about the trade in option, but now I think she's finally getting the point. Better now when it's running, than when it blows up! What do you think a '01 Malibu with 87k bring on a trade in? Kind of a bummer for it to happen now before the holidays. Also, what to trade it for? Not another Malibu... Oh yeah, I told her Sparky said so, her response, Who the heck is Sparky? lol...

Ken
ken, thats funny!!( i cant believe your wife doesnt know who sparky is..) and you are right, trade that ole girl in while it is running good..i just so happen to work at a toyota dealership, i run the used car department and im in charge of fixing all the cars, whether they are trade in's or we buy them at auctions(i fix all makes and models) ..so i know a little about all makes of cars and trucks and suvs on the market..if your 01 is in great condition with no paint work or damage and has a clean title its worth between 2500.00-3500.00 real money trade..of course they will show you more or less depending on what they have in the car you are buying from them!!..give me some details on what kind of money your looking to spend on a car and what you need the car to do for you and ill tell you the best car for the money out there and promise you- you will not have to work on it or it will not nickel you to death either..the money you save on your next purchase from not fixing it all the time- you can take your lovely wife out on the town more and you can tell her sparky said so!!

Last edited by SPARKY69; Nov 17th, 09 at 05:16 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 09, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks again Bill, I'll pm you when I figure some things out regarding the trade in possibilities. I need to do it soon of course, before something else happens to the car. Oh yeah, thanks for the hard time comments, I enjoy joking around as well! I think you have mail...

1969 Camaro
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 09, 11:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

o.k.....good luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode