I think it is an electrical problem... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I think it is an electrical problem...

I have an 83 camaro with a 350 chevy smallblock and an edelbrock 600 cfm carb settin on top of it. It is a 5 speed in the floor and it runs great...most of the time. It started last weekend when i took a left turn into my bro's driveway. It died. Would turn over but not start. I replaced the coil (hei setup), rotor, and dist. cap. It ran for about 15 feet and died again. I pushed it back and replaced the ignition module. Ran great for two days. I then made another left (i made many left turns beteen these particular turns, i just thought it was eerie) and it died again... Let it set for 5 mins and cranked right up. On the way home i made like 20 left turns and did a few donuts . It ran fine. i did clutch it when it when i made the turns. It will start in gear if the clutch is in. There is fire to the coil when it is in "on". I think it may be something to do with a short in the igntion switch?? or did autozone sell me a POS ignition module? I am gonna take it off and get it tested. I did use the white grease, but i dont know if there is another part that makes it intermentintly not work? Any help would be appericiated. Oh and the car came with a 5.0 ltr engine. This is a diff engine in it atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 08:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: I think it is an electrical problem...

sounds like it needs an exorcism..maybe a pinched wire somewhere or something to do with the fuel or fuel pressure??is it running now??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Inside the car, connect a trouble light bulb, it can be a separate two wire socket, to BAT terminal on the HEI dist and ground to see if power is lost while driving.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
sounds like it needs an exorcism..maybe a pinched wire somewhere or something to do with the fuel or fuel pressure??is it running now??
It is running intermentintly, the carb spits fuel and i can spray ether down the throat of it when it messes up and it dosent hit.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Inside the car, connect a trouble light bulb, it can be a separate two wire socket, to BAT terminal on the HEI dist and ground to see if power is lost while driving.
Wow, thx i will do that as soon as i can make to the parts warehouse! If i lose power i guess i can run a manual switch for the coil from the batt and it will work?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 12:50 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The fact that it starts up again after you work on it says you may have a bad contact somewhere. Either the plug from the cap to the module or the plug that goes on the BATT terminal may be flat worn out. They rely solely on spring pressure to make contact. They'll build up corrosion over time and also kinda work their way flat instead of being tensioned so they make good contact. You can go in with a small screwdriver on the back side and press them forward a little to bend them back into shape. They're also available for purchase, at least the power connectors/pigtails are.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dies, engine, problem, starting, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode