Poor spark from HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Poor spark from HEI

Hi everyone havent posted here in awhile but the help has always been great.
Anyhow I bought a 66 GMC for a father son project and it seemed to run ok when I got it. Now runs very bad. I replaced wires and then foud 2 dead cyl so I replaced cap and rotor . Now still have dead cly but they bounce around sometime have 3 or 4 not running. Its a 350 engine with a HEI in it. I checked other post and ran a 12g wire from ign switch added grounds all over but nothin.
I can pull a wire off cap and give it about a 1 in gap and cly fires but then oose another one. Spark is very week. How do I test the coil and modual. only things left.
Thanks, Matt.

67 Camaro SS350 Clone, 4sp PDB,PS,Hotchkis suspension,Intense Blue Pearlcoat,and lots of new metal<br />building it my way!! With a lot of help from Team Camaro!!<br /> <br />Looky at My Car!!! <br /> <a href="http://matman67.cz28.com/" target="_blank">http://matman67.cz28.com/</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Poor spark from HEI

Just a thought since I ran into this once with a 67 Chevy ramp truck I bought that had a later engine with HEI installed. Did whoever put the HEI distributor in use the original cloth covered resistor wire to feed the HEI ? If so you're not getting a full 12 volts going in and it will be hard to start & may cause it to run rough. Temporarily run a hot wire directly from the battery to the distributor and see if the problem goes away.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Yes I ran a new 12gage wire from ign switch to dist and still does the same.

67 Camaro SS350 Clone, 4sp PDB,PS,Hotchkis suspension,Intense Blue Pearlcoat,and lots of new metal<br />building it my way!! With a lot of help from Team Camaro!!<br /> <br />Looky at My Car!!! <br /> <a href="http://matman67.cz28.com/" target="_blank">http://matman67.cz28.com/</a>

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Might install new plugs and gap them to 0.045". Back later.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 08:10 AM
Tech Team
jeff

If you have 12v to the HEI then the coil is what is giving you fits. The module just tells it when to spark, not how much to spark.
Now show your kid how to change the coil. And don't forget the dielectric grease!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Was always told that a coil either worked or didnt. But will change and see what happens. Plugs are newer and gaped at .45. thanks will let ya know. Matt.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 09, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

Coils can break down internally and arc between the windings. Windings can short and still give a spark although weaker. The epoxy filled HEI coils are particularly prone to overheating as the epoxy doesn't conduct heat well. Good luck on the coil change - hopefully that fixes it.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 09, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Hey Matt. I just pulled a GM HEI out of my car and replaced it with an MSD mostly because the weight posts were about ruined and I couldn't find e-clips or bushings for it. It was still running perfectly though.

Anyway, the one I pulled out has a nearly new module, Accel cap/rotor, and Accel Supercoil. If you want those parts off it, you can have them for the cost of shipping. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, you can't beat the price. PM me if you want 'em.

Also, if you're missing the little ground bracket/strap inside the cap that seats under the coil and runs to the middle of the cap connector it'll run but very poorly.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Dec 1st, 09 at 01:15 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 05:41 PM
Tech Team
Jeremy

dude. make sure your wires are all on the correct cylinders.

]- Its legal unless you get caught. -[
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Also, if you're missing the little ground bracket/strap inside the cap that seats under the coil and runs to the middle of the cap connector it'll run but very poorly.
That's my best guess as to what is wrong. I've seen many cars without this strap after the DIYer's replaced the cap.

Jeff
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 08:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Id make sure the shaft didnt have to much slack then check clearances at the pickup coil...JM.02

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode