1989 throttle problem? please help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

1989 throttle problem? please help

ok i have a 1989 camaro 3.1L one day when i was driving and stopped at a red light, then tried to drive off it only gave me 30% peddle then after that it would stumble and sputter and almost back fire. i have taken it to a shop and they dont know whats wrong with it after 3 weeks.

shop replaced: computer, spark plugs and wires, coil pack, fuel filter, idle controll senser, and many more cant think of it right now.

please help i need my camaro back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 12:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: 1989 throttle problem? please help

Did they change the mas air flow sensor. Also i wounder if it jumped timing.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Its a pretty new car but does it have a TPS (throttle position sensor) like my foreign race car if so check that

Rodney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

A major vacuum leak that fools the mass air flow sensor (MAF) or the manifold abosulte pressure sensor (MAP) can cause some pretty weird behavior. Look for large vacuum lines that may have been blown off by a back-fire. The break boster and PCV hoses are suspect. Also, if you have a MAF engine and there is ductwork between the throttle body and the MAF, make sure it hasn't slipped apart or developed a crack along a seam.

I hate to see you throw so much money at it though. Most sensors can be verified before replacing them. It requires a volt-ohm meter. A couple of straight pins (like you find in new clothing) can be used to back-probe the connector in a live circuit. A couple of aligator leads help connect the back-probe pins to the meter. Most sensors have 3 wires. The outer wires are usually hot (+5V) and ground (0V) with the center being the signal wire. A couple of quick checks with your meter will help you figure out which is which. Often times starting the motor and operating the throttle by hand while looking at the meter reading (set on DC volts) will help you find a dud sensor. Voltage changes should be smooth with no abrupt changes in the reading. A MAP sensor can be operated by a hand vacuum pump (if you have one of those) while watching the meter change with vacuum level.

And finally, those 80 models were well known for bad connections - even in the 80s. Imagine what nearly 20 years has done to the metal pins of the connectors. I've fixed several issues (on those model years especially) just by brightening up the connector pins with a tiny piece of rolled-up sandpaper. A small pick probe or even a brad nail can be used to squeeze the sockets closed a bit. Finally a nice dob of dielectric grease will help keep them corrosion free and will provide some moisture resistance. That's probably the best advice of all. It's cheap, easy, and no paid mechanic is going to invest that level of care until they've racked up a huge bill in replacement parts.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 03:15 PM
Tech Team
Jeremy

I agree with the timing issue. its too often i see that happen. Its expensive to do but if that thing has a timing belt instead of a chain, than its more than likely. OH! and dnult is a down right serious caretaker for his car. I love my camaro just as much as he loves his. Haha good luck eric!

]- Its legal unless you get caught. -[
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Did you pull any codes?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

ok all the problems yall stated i have checked, and it all normal its not jumping timming at all i checked that first. the TPS has been changed the mas air flow sensor has been
changed and there is no vacuum leaks at all. the manifold abosulte pressure sensor has been changed also. its is at a point where i am about the jump the car it is really bugging
me. i cant tell what is wrong with it. it will idle perfect, with no noise or anything.
but when i give it gas it will sputter and try to die out. but soon as i let go of the gas, it catches itself and continues to idle perfect..

EDIT: oh and ya pulled codes and says the engine is running at like 300+ deg. on cold which is untrue lol
replaced the temp sensor/ nothing

Last edited by Eric Goding; Dec 23rd, 09 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added more information
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Sound like a restricted catalytic converter. No power on take off but will idle fine, just went through a job with symptoms as you'res. Replaced the cat and the car ran 100 % better.

Ken

1969 Camaro
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

Cool Re: 1989 throttle problem? please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goding View Post
ok all the problems yall stated i have checked, and it all normal ...the mas air flow sensor has been
changed...
Don't assume that just because a part has been replaced that it is functioning properly. Bad connections will spoil that plan. You'll bankrupt yourself replacing parts willy nilly and may never make the thing run right. You've got to diagnose the possibilities, start with the simplest and cheapest and work your way up to things like timing chains / belts. It's nice when you replace a part and all is right with the world, but it don't always work that way.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG69 View Post
Sound like a restricted catalytic converter. No power on take off but will idle fine, just went through a job with symptoms as you'res. Replaced the cat and the car ran 100 % better.

Ken
nope its not that i took the cat off and and ran it straight pipe. and still doing the same thing. i thought maybe it was the cat or clogged exhaust.

and dnult when i said its been replaced i mean i replaced some parts two or three times thinking its was faulty or something and all connectors and everything are fine. i been under that hood for 4 weeks straight and for the life of me i cant find out whats wrong..
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 09, 11:56 AM
col

do a compression check on it. you might be surprised to find out you may have a bent valve, or even bad spring
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 09, 11:59 AM
col

had a dodge hemi in my shop yesturday with a bad valve spring. no codes came up not even check engine light. would fall on its face flat out. acted like in had 3 or more dead holes.......one simple valve spring. a careful compression check will give you a straight answer. and its cheap to check.....
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 09, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

hmm ill try that and i will inform you. the shop doesnt open back up till monday so ya
i hope that is the problem and thank you guys for all the help.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 09, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech

did you check your fuel pressure with a gauge? whats it reading? could just be the pump

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

no its getting plenty of fuel, that was the first thing i checked..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode