1991 chevy camaro rs 3.1L v6 wont start i need help!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 1991 chevy camaro rs 3.1L v6 wont start i need help!!!

well i was almost out of gas so i ran to the gas station to fill it up...car started just fine went to leave and after i shifted from first gear to second the car started to shake i had the pedal all the way to the floor it was acting like it wasnt getting any fuel...finally the car stalled i went to restart it it turned over n stayed started for about 30 seconds then died out again. i dont have much money to take it to a mechanic if any one has any ideas of where to start it would be alot of help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: 1991 chevy camaro rs 3.1L v6 wont start i need help!!!

Has the car been sitting for a while.Have you ever changed the fuel filter.I sounds like it may be the fuel pump.Are there any fuzes blown if the pump is clogged it may have burnt up the fuze may have blown to tell you its the pump.If blown put a new fuze in if it blows again you will need a pump.What have you tried to do...Do you know if the pump is in the tank if it is get some one to try and start it while you bang on the tank with a block of wood.This is all I got some one here should know more than me.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

First thing I suggest is to buy a manual for the car from your local auto parts store, a Haynes manual. The manual has alot of useful info for maintaining the car and for troubleshooting the problems arising.

I would listen for a 'buzz' for about 2-3 seconds by the driver side rear wheel when ign key goes from off to IGN. This buzz signifies the fuel pump is working as commanded by the ECM.

If you ran the tank to empty, and the engine died later after adding fuel, I would change the fuel filter back by the tank.

You can do a simple check of seeing fuel pressure by looking on the fuel rail for a tire valve, commonly called a Schrader valve, looks exactly like a tire valve. Turn the ign key on, f/pump runs for 2-3 seconds. Protect your eyes and press on the little stem inside to see if gas comes out. No gas, no pump or no power to pump.

Don't run the tank to empty, never under 1/4 tank. The fuel in the tank cools the pump during operation. No fuel, pump can overheat.

Check other connections you see in the engine compartment. Make sure they are plugged in. Check the condition of the hoses in the engine compartment, replace any with cracks or crumble in your hand.

Welcome to the Club.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your advice i will get to checking those things tomorrow
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

There is an easy way to hot-wire the fuel pump to run all the time (as a test) by jumpering two connections in the FP relay socket. A pressure gauge is nice - see if Autozone will loan you one if you don't have one.

Sounds like it's out of gas - you weren't clear if all the shaking started on your way to the gas station or after filling up. If it was after, you wouldn't be the first person to get bad gas. I know at least a half dozen people who got bad gas and their cars died within 2 or 3 minutes of starting it.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

well it started after i filled up..water in the tank was my first thought so i poured a bottle of heet in it still wont start..me and my buddy checked to see if the pump was kicking on we both heard nothing
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech

The fuel pump will run for just a second when the key is turned on. That's part of the ECM's boot up logic and it primes the pump. Beyond that, the ECM won't engage the pump until it receives pulses back from the distributor. What's weird is that everytime to flip the ignition switch on and off, the pump won't necessarily run. I'm not sure if the pump builds up pressure and stops cycling or if the ECM remembers that the pump has already been primed and doesn't turn it on again.

Don't rule out a bad FP relay. But really, you need to figure out how to jumper the FP relay, to get the pump running and verify if it really is an FP issue or perhaps bad fuel. No sense worrying about bad fuel if the FP won't run and make pressure.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fuel pump relay is located on the firewall next to the drvr side hood hinge, a black box 1X2 inches.

You can unplug the relay and jumper across the two wires of the largest wire gauge. Use male quick disconnects and a heavy wire, say #12 AWG. With this jumper in place, you should hear the f/pump humming back by the drvr rear wheel and you can test pressure at the pressure valve on the fuel rail with a tire pressure gauge. Kind of shadetree, but it works. The pressure valve looks like a tire air valve.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your help i jumped the realay pump is fine...took a look at the distrubitor it was loose took it of and insepected closer magnet and pole needs looks really bad got the parts coming in wednesday..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech

If the FP is running normally and creating pressure then one of two things is going on. Either the ignition module is not sending pulses to the ECM and thus the ECM is not engaging the pump. A fuel pressure guage would confirm this - if the pressure kicks up after you crank the engine then the ignition module is signaling the ECM.

The fact that this just started when you fueled up the car really makes me suspect bad fuel. I've known several folks who have had this happen. The theory is the fuel storage tank gets water in it (which normally settles to the bottom of the storage tank). Then the fuel man fills up the tank and agitates all the water. You pump gas into your car and get a tank full of bad fuel.

If you're lucky and the water isn't all that bad, you might get buy with a bottle or two of fuel treatment (containing methanol). But it may sputter and fart for quite some time until you burn off most of the water.

Dave
========================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode