Camaro not starting??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Camaro not starting???

when i try to start it wont turn over. Gas is in car battery is not dead is on charger.
Once worked when i put gas in the carb. Any ideas? Could it be the starter, plugs wire?
im puzzled. was working fine last week. Any ideas would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: camaro not starting???

Could it be a bad fuel pump, is it a manual or electric pump. Also check the fuel filter and clean the carb may have some garbage in the jets.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 12:44 AM

check your distrubitor... i just had the same problem with my 91 rs

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

What year car and give us some specs?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

sorry... its a 67 camaro with a 350(not orignal) i think its a 80's block.
Rochester Carb.
it was running last week. if i put gas in the carb it starts but thats it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 12:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Pull the air cleaner off and with the engine off give it a couple of full pulls on the throttle linkage and while your doing this look inside the carb to see if it is squirting gas.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

squirting out of the carb or just making noise of squirting?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

squirting out of the carb or just making noise of squirting?[/quote] Squirting down in the carb is a good thing. Have you tried to start after pumping the throttle a couple times. May be a week battery not enough juice to start or a bad coil, condenser exxx.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

put a fuel pump and fuel filter on it!! 25.00 fuel pump and 5.00 filter

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

thanks for the help. i will try all of the above.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Your original post indicated the motor wont turn over. If this is the case, don't start with fuel issues, start with your battery and your starter. Run jumper cables (not just a battery charger - not enough juice) to the battery and turn the key. If nothing, fiddle with the connections a few times, as I think the battery is most likely your problem. If nothing, rap the side of the starter with a hammer (dont get carried away and break the aluminum starter case) and then try it again. If nothing, repeat step one. If still nothing, with jumpers still attached, use a screwdriver and bridge the contacts on the starter solenoid and see if it engages. If nothing, you likely have a bad solenoid. ...... If step one works, replace the battery, if step two works, replace the starter, if step three works, replace the solenoid and/or starter. ..... If I mis-read your original post and the engine turns over but wont fire, please disregard this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode