1969 RS Camaro rear back up lights in-op? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
BRANDON

1969 RS Camaro rear back up lights in-op?

i bought a car from a team member and for some reason my rear back up lights went out? duh? is it a simple fuse or are both bulbs bad?or is it an adjustment in the shifter? they did work fine.i havent checked anything yet, but i will tonite.(looking for idea's)thanks, brandon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Send a message via AIM to smith69z
Re: 1969 RS camaro rear back up lights in-op?

Try the adjustment on the sterring column first. Dscinnect and slide the contact until the lights come on or don't come on. Then move on.

69 Fathom Green RS/Z-Endura bumper - Never finished but finally certified.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech

Brandon -

If I remember the car correctly, it is a column shift auto, correct? If so, like Don says the neutral safety and reverse lamp switch is at the base of the column inside the car, on top of the column. Without taking anything apart, you should be able to move the gear selector lever around and see if it triggers the lights at all in any position. If it does turn them on, just not when the selector is in reverse, then it is a simple adjustment issue.

If it doesn't trigger them in any position, the next thing I would do is use a multimeter to check for 12V (with key in and in run position) on the pink wire leading to the NSS/reverse light switch.

If you have 12V showing on the pink, then I'd move to the rear light harness disconnect (rectangular block behind the left taillight, where the middle body harness meets the rear light harness), and check for 12V on the lime green wire (with the key on and selector in reverse).

You can also remove both the pink and green from the reverse lamp switch and use the multimeter to check for continuity at the switch. Hook it up, and if the MM beeps when the selector is in reverse, the switch is good.

I don't have the fuse block diagram here, and I can't recall what else is on that circuit. Try some basic checks, and then we can go from there.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

Looking at a pic of a 69 fuse box, it looks like the reverse lamps are on a fuse with the directionals. Do the turn signals still work?

Eric
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
BRANDON

Eric, yes its bill old car and it is automatic on the col. And yes the turn signals are working correctly,.. It is an rs car.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Eric suggests, Back the car to a door/wall to see the reverse lights or not as you slowly run the gear selector threough the gears.

If they do light, then its an adjustment.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

dont make come up there and fix it for you brandon!! hahahaha... did you get it fixed yet??..take it easy one the ole girl..its not a reher morrison engine under the hood...hahaha

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
BRANDON

thanks guys, i got them working, it was a adjustment.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech

Sometimes it IS the simple things.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode