Sudden onset of a loud banging noise - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Robb

Sudden onset of a loud banging noise

Here is a long explanation of what I got, I hope someone has some simple suggestions.

Had a well running 350 with a TH400 automatic until a wide open short pass. After the pass, I heard a clacking noise, slowed down and started listenening to it. It eventually got louder and sounded like it was coming from the firewall area. I made it home and parked it in the garage thinking the worst. I took off valve covers and checked all valves, they all seem to be adjusted properly and in working order when the engime is turned over. There is nothing obvious out of place. I started the car again and it fired right up, but the noise was still there. After listening closely it sounds like something hitting metal, like the oil pan possibly. It is hard to isolate where the noise is, but I would say somewhere in the flywheel area, but definatley down low on the bottom end. The noise is consistent but not to fast. It does go faster when the rpms are increased.The trans shifted fine and I still have all gears. The engine sounds fine and does not miss at all, it starts right away and does not sound bad except for intermittent clacking.

What are some things to look for? Could something be hitting in the oil pan while the engine still runs good? Could it be something with the flywheel or torque convertor?

I don't think it is a flattened cam I have been through that before. This sounds different.

robb28
'67 Camaro
'06 FLSFTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: sudden onset of a loud banging noise

What did the oil pressure do? I suspect you spun a rod bearing.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Exactly, where is the oil pressure? Drain the oil and take a look inside the oil filter if nothing is obvious.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Robb

I forgot to mention I still have good oil pressure, and that did not seem to be affected.

I have not looked at the oil yet, will do that this weekend. If a bearing is spun will that be obvious in the oil? Does a spun bearing make a loud noise?

Thanks for the replies.

robb28
'67 Camaro
'06 FLSFTI
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

I would check the fly wheel, make sure no cracks and bolts are tight.

I use a piece of 3/8" rubber hose with one end to my ear and poke the other into the valve covers etc to better pin point where it's coming from. You can also use a pry bar etc with one end to your ear and the other on the head/block.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You blew a header gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
You blew a header gasket.
Good thought, sometimes that can sure sound like a metalic sound.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 10:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

The dreaded spun rod bearing. Cross your fingers.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Diagnose a spin rod bearing by pulling off, one at a time, a spark plug wire to each cylinder.
When the noise changes, the faulty cylinder has been found.
Like JimM suggests, I'd check for a blown exhaust gasket.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 04:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Diagnose a spin rod bearing by pulling off, one at a time, a spark plug wire to each cylinder.
When the noise changes, the faulty cylinder has been found.
Like JimM suggests, I'd check for a blown exhaust gasket.
yes sir x2

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Sounds like you cracked the flywheel.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

It would of lost oil pressure if he spun a bearing.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Hopefully you didn't spin a rod bearing. If the torque convertor bolts become loose or break it'll sound like it's about to throw a rod.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 09, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Daniel

First place I would look is under the dust cover for cracked flywheel or loose bolts. Could be torque converter or front pump.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 09, 07:44 PM
col

check your bell housing area out first. fly wheel bolts torque bolts that fun stuff.......if there is no loss of oil pressure rod bearing is unlikely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode