Power steering 67 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Red face Power steering 67 camaro

i bought a power steering pump last yr worked until about 2 weeks ago now its stiff again when trying to turn ect.

I jacked the car up in the front and turned the sterring wheel to let the air out as fluid fell to the ground (over rocks of course on the side of the rd), anyways it worked for a little bit and than went back to being stiff again.

Does any1 know of something else to try or should it simply be replaced again?

Thanks for the assistance.

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Re: power steering 67 camaro

Your power steering system is not like a brake system. You cannot just crack a hose and "let the air out." The power steering system is a free flowing system. You want the air to make its way out of the system by letting air bubbles surface in the pump reservoir.

If you serviced a steering component, (i.e. replaced a pump, or a hose, or the steering gear) then there is a good chance that you will have air in your PS system. If you just start your engine, the air will be pushed through the system by the flowing oil, the air will enter the pump and the air and oil will get whipped to a froth. Your PS oil will look milky from the millions of very tiny air bubbles. You will have to let the tiny air bubbles settle out over night.

The best appoach after servicing the power steering system is to jack up both front wheels. Then turn the steering wheel full lock to full lock a couple dozen times. This will manually push oil through the system and the large air bubbles will be allowed to surface in the pump reservoir. Refill the system as the air comes up an out (and the fluid level goes down.) Then let the car down and go for a short ride.

Jim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: power steering 67 camaro

The best appoach after servicing the power steering system is to jack up both front wheels. Then turn the steering wheel full lock to full lock a couple dozen times. This will manually push oil through the system and the large air bubbles will be allowed to surface in the pump reservoir. Refill the system as the air comes up an out (and the fluid level goes down.) Then let the car down and go for a short ride.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim in my post i stated that i jacked up the front end and turn the steering wheel many times ect than took her for a test drive. While she does seem to turn ok after a good drive it goes back to being stiff again, thus is it simply a bad pump at this junction?

it about helping others

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 10, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Casey

Re: Power steering 67 camaro

I had a problem with my power steering pump, too. During the restoration it worked fine, but I decided that while it was off the car I'd have it completely rebuilt. I took it to a local company, D&S, and they rebuilt and painted it for me for $45.

I installed the pump on the car with both front wheels up, put the fluid in the pump, turned both wheels to the right while the motor was running, and then shut the engine off. I checked the fluid level and added some. Five minutes later I restarted the car, turned the wheels to the left, and shut the engine down. Then I let it sit for about 20 minutes to get the air bubbles out. I repeated this two or three times, and then let the car sit for about 3 hours to let the bubbles out. I checked the fluid level and added enough not to exceed the limit.

The power steering worked fine, but 2 weeks later the power steering went out it my driveway. There was no fluid leak--just the steering went hard. I took the pump back off, thinking it was the valve, but it wasn't stuck. I took it back to D&S and they told me that the pump inside the power steering went out, not the valve. Just like everything else with this car, I have to do everything two or three times. It sounds to me like one or two things--check the valve to see if it's stuck and if not, the pump inside went out. Have it rebuilt or buy a new one at Auto Zone. Hope this helps. Casey
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 10, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Power steering 67 camaro

how do you check the to see if the valve went out Casey?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode