Edelbrock carb? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Edelbrock carb?

My 69 Camaro has a ZZ4 350 crate engine in it and runs horrible.

It barely idles right now with the 600 Edelbrock. I have adjusted the idle mixture screws and tried adjusting the idle adjustement screw with no luck. When I adjust the idle speed screw to the desired idle speed the engine will diesel when I try to kill it. That tells me I have the throttle blades are opened too far.

I also marked the distributor for refference and tried advancing the timing to speed up the idle a little and lower the idle adjustement screw. It idled great and didnt try to diesel when I killed it but I cant drive it due to being too advanced and preignition... so im back to square one.

I have viewed all of the Edelbrock videos and followed all the steps/instructions with no luck, the carb seems to be good.. if there is sutch a thing as a good Edelbrock carb lol.

Im looking for a nice used 700 Holley DP for sale if anyone has one. I plan on a cam/intake upgrade in the near future.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 04:10 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Edelbrock carb?

Check the float level. From my experience these need adjusting when new. I don't have any probs from my Eddy carb except in summer it needs a heat insulator (spacer) on it.

1967 convertible T-1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

There is nothing wrong with Edelbrock carbs. It's simply a calibration issue. It's probably more to do with the engine than the carb, but the carb gets the bad rap. Is the car an auto or manual? If auto, will it idle in park/neutral? Is this issue when you put it in gear? What metering rod springs are you running? 1st you will need to set the timing at about 18*-19* initial. That is a good overall starting point. 2nd you need to use a vacuum gauge to see how much vacuum the engine pulls at idle. After you get that reading, you may need to change the metering rod springs accordingly. The stock springs are orange. The orange springs(5" of vacuum) is generally a good overall spring, but if your cam doesn't make sufficient vacuum to keep the metering rods down in the lean mode at idle, you will be getting fuel from the main nozzles at idle. With the car idling, look down the primary bore of the carb and look for fuel exiting the main nozzles. If this is happening, it's because the metering rods are up in the rich or power stage. This is due to insufficient vacuum to hold them down in the cruise or lean stage. You need to start by setting the timing and getting a vacuum reading.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
bill

your carb may be a little small for that motor. gm recommends a 770 cfm carb. thats what i put on mine and have no problems running lean.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

IMO, a 770 on a 350 is WAY TOO MUCH CARB. A 600 or a 650 is perfect, but 1st, what 600 do you have? Is it the 1406 or the 1405? If it's the 1406, then that carb is calibrated from Edelbrock for economy. The 1405 is the performance calibrated carb. If you are running the 1406, which most people do because it comes with an electric choke, then you will ONLY be able to get it so good because of the idle tubes and various channels it comes with. The 1405 is more performance oriented and it can be converted to an electric choke. The calibration kit for a 1406 is the following:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1487/

The calibration kit for the 1405 is the following:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1479/

Also, if you are running the 1405, here is the electric choke conversion for that carb:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ED...n/?prefilter=0

I would spend the $36(1406) or the $55(1405) on a calibration kit before I go spending the $500-$600 for a new carb.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Thanks for the help guys!

I found a 700 Holley DP for the car. The ZZ4 was ordered complete with a 650 Holley but the last owner replced it with the Edelbrock 1406 carb.

I personally dont like the Edelbrock carbs and have had bad luck with them. I have owned two different cars with Edelbrock carbs and replaced them both with Holley carbs with amazing seat of the pants results... I admit though I know nothing about Edelbrock carbs or tuning on them.

I will stick with what im familliar with and know will work great.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 10, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

If GM ships the motor with a 650, then a 700 is too much. Ok for testing, but too much to stay with. Edelbrocks are nice carbs. Very easy to tune. Everybody automatically hears to word Holley and thinks they are going to outperform every other carb. Not always true. If you think about it, Chevy is the ONLY company to use Holley's as a factory carb on their HP models. Even the infamous Shelby Cobra used a Q-Jet. The Olds W-30 442 used a Q-Jet. The Pontiac TransAm RamAir 3 used a Q-Jet, etc, etc, etc. Are Holley's easy to work on? I don't know. I have never used one. I know an Edelbrock is and so is a Q-Jet, once you understand the different circuits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode