Rough start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richard

Rough start

I just bought a 67 RS convertible with a 350 from 1972. It has a 4barrel and auto trans (powerglde) and it still has points. The problem is after it sits for the night, the next time I start it up it feels like it is choking and sputters. If I have it in idle, it will die but if I have the RPMs high it will keep running but it still feels like it is missing. After warming it up for 10 min at high rpms, it runs smooth and is fine for the day. What could be the problem? Vacuum leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Rough start

Do a simple complete tune up with new fuel filter and make sure you have a vented gas cap.... wires, plugs, points, condensor, cap and rotor. Cant go wrong for the hole tune up.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Sounds like the choke might not be set correctly.

alan

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

How long was it sitting before you bought it? It may have abd gas in it. Syphon the gas out of the tank, fill with fresh gas and try again. I had bad gas after sitting for a while and the car didn't even want to run. Barely moved when I stepped on the gas and she stalled at times as well.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richard

I've had it since mid Dec 09. Filled up twice so I don't think it's the gas. I'll mess around with the carb.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Alan may be on to something. What type of carb does it have? The choke is a very important part of the car starting, warming up and idling cold. If it's out of whack, it will do just what you described. Most every choke, when it is set, should leave about a 3/16" gap between the choke housing and the choke flap. Anything more and it will lean out. Anything less and it will flood. 3/16" is not set in stone, but that is the starting point. Also, when the choke sets, the fast idle cam should be controlling the idle, NOT the normal idle screw. The fast idle cam usually has 2 or 3 steps to it. If you have to keep you foot on the pedal to make the RPM's stay up, then the choke it either maladjusted or the fast idle screw is not set right. Just like the normal idle speed screw, the fast idle cam also has its own idle speed screw that ONLY works when the choke is set. You are shooting for around 1500rpm when the choke is set. I run mine a little lower just because the car is loud and I don't want to wake the neighbors in the morning.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richard

After a while, even after getting to operating temp it ran really rough and wouldn't even idle anymore. It would just sputter and die. So after cleaning the carb then changing the spark plugs and wires, the coil, all the vacuum hoses, and fuel filter, it still ran rough. The culprit was the fuel pump. Affter changing the fuel pump, it runs great! Next task is to change out the points with Petronix Ignitor II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode