Right blinker and brake light dont work with headlights on - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Right blinker and brake light dont work with headlights on

Alright, my brake lights and blinkers work fine with my headlights off BUT if I turn them on or the parking lights, my right (passenger side) brake light and blinker wont work. The blinker wont work at all and if I push on the brakes the right tail light goes out but the driver's side works fine.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Right blinker and brake light dont work with headlights on

You got a bad ground gremlin working there. Start by checking the grounds in the trunk, then make sure your grounding straps from the engine to chassis are there and that they are clean and tight. Plus, check the battery cables.

But I would betcha with almost 100% certainty that it is a bad ground somewhere.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Battery cables are good, grounds in the trunk are good as thats where I went first, I sanded and cleaned all connections. Im thinking it might be in the blinker switch? Sometimes the right blinker will work with headlights on but barely, it will blink about every 15 seconds... very slowly.

I dont see how the grounding strap from the engine to chassis come into play with the rear tailights.

Thanks!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
I dont see how the grounding strap from the engine to chassis come into play with the rear tailights. Thanks!
The negative battery cable is attached to the engine block and the unibody is isolated unless there are ground straps from the body to the block, as in AM radio noise suppression straps.

I would check to make sure the bulbs are the same number and use a heavy duty flasher, 552.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

There are 2 flashers on your car. One on the fuse block and one under the dash by the radio.

The one by the radio is for the turn signals. You probably have a old or bad flasher. My car had the same problem. Replaced the flasher and now they work normal.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 07:07 PM
Tech Team
jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
Alright, my brake lights and blinkers work fine with my headlights off BUT if I turn them on or the parking lights, my right (passenger side) brake light and blinker wont work. The blinker wont work at all and if I push on the brakes the right tail light goes out but the driver's side works fine.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Are you SURE the brake and blinker are actually lighting up the "bright" filament? A bad ground in the bulb receptacle (the little metal strip the bulb contacts on the side, not the bottom when installed) will allow the current to "back-bleed" and will actually light (or flash) the tail lamp filament. At that point when you turn on the headlamps (tail light) the current can no longer bleed backwards towards ground and the bright filament (the real brake/turn) will not light. I would double check the right turn/tail light socket.
You can buy replacement bulb receptacles through NAPA and other parts stores. The will come with a short wire harness to replace the defective one.
Good luck.
Jeff.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I have noticed the right blinker seems to be working more and more with time. I had just replaced the flasher the other night with no luck but upon driving around lastnight it was working almost like normal BUT my right tail light would go out with a touch of the brakes or with a blinker.

Im not sure if I made it clear but when the lights get turned on they all work fine. all my tailights, headlights and parking lights come on but soon as you touch the brake pedal or either blinker the right light goes out.

Ill check the socket.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It reads like the right bright filament is not getting any power.
Tail light brillance is less than brake light brillance.
If left stop light works, yellow wire, great brillance, and no right rear stop light, no power in the dark green wire, rt rr stop light.

Do emergency flashers work? They overrule all.
Then turn signals over brake lights is the hierachy.
If they do, problem at turn signal switch, pull up alittle on the t/s handle - may have worn out.
If they don't, might check at body connector at drvr kick panel - yellow is drvr side, dark green is pass side.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

sounds like your on the right track /\

flashers work but does the same as blinker, instead of stay lit and blinking at the same time it just goes off and on.

I looked at the bulbs and it has to filaments, left side has one constent and one flashes with blinker, right side only one filament works, iv swapped the bulbs so its not the bulbs.

Im thinking its in the turn switch, Ill check the grounds? at the drivers kick panel.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

my right blinker only works with the car running, if I just turn it to the on position (dummy lights come on) only my left blinker flashes.

Bad ground somewhere? something not getting enough power?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

You are going to start at basics...get good test light(power probe is best)
and start checking powers and grounds..try different bulbs (cross feeding) Is this a car thats been running for a while or new project?

It takes time to chase problems like this down....jay

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Power connection is at the kick panel, dark green for rt side stop/t/sig; yellow for lt side.
Grounds are localized at the lights, usually by snapping the socket into the hole if full metal socket. Plastic sockets have two 'fingers' to grab the sheet metal.

If rt t/s works only with engine running, more voltage, 14 volts, then high resistance somewhere either in power side or ground side.

You might run a piece of emery paper, 200 or more sandpaper, through the edge of the bezel hole.
You also might check the connection of the bezel, the light fixture, to the body for a good ground connection. If test light is being used and you probe across the bezel to body ground, the light may dimly glow meaning poor connection; same with using a meter, low voltage poor connection. If no voltage or glowing, then connection is good.

'
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

The lights ground at the bezel? I can remove the lights from the bezel and they function same as when inserted in bezel.

Or I am confused what a bezel is...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Example: http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3313

The item the socket snaps into. If the light still lights with the socket unplugged, then a separate ground path has been created. The socket body snapped into its normal place provides the return path, or ground; through the socket, to the bezel, and to the body.

If you remove the socket with bulb from its normal place, does the light flash normally if you jumper the metal socket body, or metal tabs on the socket, to another ground position?

'
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I will try that right away now, Thanks for all the replys everyone!

Hopefuly figure this bugger out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode