67 headlight doors troubleshooting guide - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

67 headlight doors troubleshooting guide

OK, here is the definitive on troubleshooting the 67 Camaro headlight doors, not working properly ( in my case it started with not closing and moved on to more problems as I replaced each item in the circuit.
This process worked for me, I have changed the sequence of my process to make it easier for anyone else to correct, learn from my mistakes.

Make sure you have your headlights installed and the dimmer switch in and working before you start, the ground works through these items and will now work if they are not installed.

1) Replace the relays ( all 3 ) DO IT! IT IS ONLY $60 AND YOU WILL SAVE COUNTLESS HOURS! ( less $ if you can find the relays in the electronics store )

2) Replace the breaker ( this one is critical also ) Make sure you are using the 10A breaker, some knucklehead put the 30A in my system and that was causing all kinds of problems...( did not find that till the very end )

3) Verify you have 12v on the brown wire coming from the firewall to the first relay with the ignition ON and the ligth switch OFF.
troubleshoot that if you have no power ( open on the brown wire, bad light switch? )

4)Verify you have 12V on the blue wire coming from the firewall with the ignition on and the light switch on. ( if no power troubleshoot that, open blue wire, bad light switch )

5) Confirm the 12v switches wires from Blue ( with the switch out ) and Brown (with the switch in ) they should not be hot at the same time!

6) If your system is still inoperable, start with each wire in the relay board, replace them one by one, testing after each wire. ( YOU WILL NEED THE WIRING DIAGRAM THAT IS AVAILABLE FROM A NUMBER OF SOURCES FOR THE 67rs HEADLIGHTS AND DOORS )

7) Verify and replace any wire that may be damaged/missing going to each of the limit switches.

8) verify you have the grounds on the limit switches hooked up on the correct tab on the bottom if each limit switch, they are all the same so test them with a multimeter to confrim you have continuity working equally on each of the limit switches THE SAME!

8) if you recently took the system apart to clean and paint it so it is nice looking, confirm you have not eliminated any grounds ( scratch the new paint under each ground point so you are sure you have good contact. )

9) ( I did this for good measure ) Add a ground wire from the passenger side limit switch ground connection to a solid ground, I went from the screw and connector on the bottom of the switch bracket with a 14" #12 black wire directly to the batter negative. that was also a critical part to the system, that ground is crucial. Not obtrusive and you can't see it unless you are really looking, you could remove it once you have the system running properly if you are a total purist...

THAT SHOULD GET IT GOING, GOOD LUCK, ENJOY GETTING THEM WORKING ON MY 25 HOURS OF TROUBLESHOOTING :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

Re: 67 headlight doors troubleshooting guide

I have made a simple drawing of the relays and the wiring without the coils/ switches etc. that only real electricians can read, deciphered it to laymans diagram so anyone can determine what wire goes where just by looking at the physical tap on each relay. that I will figure out how to post here and I will add it in the next day or two, need to clean it up and make it presentable.... fyi, you can use standard relays in place of the GM style ones if you don't care about the look, they are only $5 each and perform the same functions...12v 15A+ is all you need to tell the guy at the electronics store and they will hook you up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 11:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Gary, Nice write up!

One question if I may. On point 5, I believe you are referring to the motor power blue/brown wires, not the lt.blue/brown relay control pair that comes through the firewall. Correct? That part could be confusing if someone is working without the schematic (which I don't advise).

Thanks!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

No actually, I am referring to the wires from the diode, thru the firewall, they switch from hot to ground as you push the light switch in...

these are some of the issues with the system, polarity changes on wires which is tantamount to a three way switch in your home, can be extremely confusing is you don't understand the flow of electrons... which I really don't :-)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

OK, it has been brought to my attention that item 5 above has an error. Which supports my statement that i really do not understand the flow of electrons ... my apologies, please take my guide in the context of an amateur troubleshooter and work thru it wiht some skepticism. I do believe that the rest of the process is a good start and compliments the book troubleshooting version that has been circulated... good luck to all and my apologies for any confusion I may have caused....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 01:38 AM
Fred

would appreciate that simple drawing of wiring for relays limits and motors
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 08:32 PM
Fred

Gary, could I get a copy of that layman rs headlight diagram you made. Would really appreciate it. Fred
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 16, 07:42 PM
67 RS ls

Hello any one have idea as to why I have left headlamp door that opens but when it reaches the limit switch just sits and flutters, and won't stop. The doors open and close, lights work just the fluttering door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode