Shifting Into Park - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Mantas Galijota

Shifting Into Park

So this has been totally ravaging my brain maybe someone can help me out. It seems that my shifter won't go into park heres the symptoms im having ill push the lever all the way into park position but when i let go of the break the car acts as if it's in reverse and starts driving backwards if I press the gas pedal it accelerates when i shift down one same thing but the reverse lights come on the thing is it lets me take out my key when its in park but the car slighlty rolls basically i have 2 reverse gears no park and no 1st gear car drives fine everything seems in order the only other thing is when i start it the rpms jump and the vechicle right away goes in reverse any help

Last edited by trippym; Feb 28th, 10 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Shifting Into Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippym View Post
So this has been totally ravaging my brain maybe someone can help me out. It seems that my shifter won't go into park heres the symptoms im having ill push the lever all the way into park position but when i let go of the break the car acts as if it's in reverse and starts driving backwards if I press the gas pedal it accelerates when i shift down one same thing but the reverse lights come on the thing is it lets me take out my key when its in park but the car slighlty rolls basically i have 2 reverse gears no park and no 1st gear car drives fine everything seems in order the only other thing is when i start it the rpms jump and the vechicle right away goes in reverse any help
What type of shifter,Stock or aftermarket???? Sounds like a cable adjustment issue.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 05:22 PM
Ray

More than likely shift cable or linkage needs adjusted.Chock wheels and set ebrake and take off at tranny,move shift lever by hand and see if you have all detent postions.If good install cable or linkage put in park and see if you can move lever on tranny by hand into park.If yes then adjust your cable or linkage.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 07:47 PM
Jay

What kind of car?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Mantas Galijota

95 camaro everything stock automatic 3.4 this happened right after i hit a pothole can anyone guide me through adjusting the linkage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Mantas Galijota

Thanks for all your help found the problem a loose bolt holding the lever that the cable snaps on to one socket a little tightening and seems to be right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode