Carburetor gasket leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bubba

Carburetor gasket leak

Got another rookie question about carbs.I usually don't post a question without attempting something atleast twice but after replacing my gaskets twice i must be doing something wrong. i have an 870 street avenger sitting on top of an 1 inch spacer this is the gasket that keeps leaking. i have been using just the cheap gaskets, spectre or mr. gasket.....that may be my problem... i have been coating both sides with permatex spray a gasket sealer.....was told this was the way to do it ???is there a better sealer or another material i might could try that may have a diffrent result? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Carburetor gasket leak

Are you putting a gasket on both sides of the spacer as is required? I used the cheap Mr. Gasket ones with no sealer and they worked fine on a phenolic spacer and 670 Street Avenger. Also do not tighten the nuts on the carb studs tighter than 10 ft lbs or the spacer might try to deflect. Snug them down in a criss-cross pattern a little at a time.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

In addition to Steiner's suggestions, are the mating surfaces wide enough to seal all the plates?

Is the manifold too skinny its not mating correctly to the carb base plate?
Are both surfaces flat? use a steel rule on edge across the surface of both planes and should be no light showing through the junction. Across both corners?
If the surfaces are bowed, you can take a bastard file and draw across the surface to flatten it.
Believe or not, masking tape works well as a gasket.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 09:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBuBBa View Post
Got another rookie question about carbs.I usually don't post a question without attempting something atleast twice but after replacing my gaskets twice i must be doing something wrong. i have an 870 street avenger sitting on top of an 1 inch spacer this is the gasket that keeps leaking. i have been using just the cheap gaskets, spectre or mr. gasket.....that may be my problem... i have been coating both sides with permatex spray a gasket sealer.....was told this was the way to do it ???is there a better sealer or another material i might could try that may have a diffrent result? Thanks....

Is one side of the carb spacer solid flat and the other have openings between the walls? That is most often the case with spacer leaks.

67 RS
540, T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, 12 Bolt w/4:10's
(I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back)

Nicole:

My build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode