Door latch stuck - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Door latch stuck

Hey guys, I've searched all the threads and tried what I could without any luck.

I have a couple different keys on my key ring, and was trying to figure out which key operated the door lock on my '67. I had the door open and tried the first one, and the cylinder rotated, but nothing happened, so I tried the other one and it didn't fit. The door panel is off, so I looked inside and realized that the lock cylinder isn't attached to the locking mechanism. It rotates, but it doesn't do anything.

I manually locked the door using the door lock knob and the latch got stuck in the halfway closed position. I tried moving it back to the open position, but no luck, so for whatever reason I pushed the latch all the way in, hoping it would then release. It is now stuck in the closed position, but the door is open.

I have tried quickly lifting the door lock knob up and down about 200 times. I have tried spraying everying down with white lithium grease. I have tried pushing on the door handle button while using a screwdriver to pry the door latch open, and also lifting the inside handle while trying to pry the latch open, without any luck.

I was going to remove the latch mechanism, but one of the screws was so tight that I stripped the screw.

All of the parts of the mechanism seem to move freely, but they only move about 1/4 inch. The outside door handle button only pushes in a tiny amount before it has a hard stop. I can see the spring and it looks like it is in the right position and not bent.

Am I missing something here? Anyone got any ideas before I drill out the stripped screw and try to take the latch out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Door latch stuck

I should also add that I have reached up inside the door and can move the linkage by hand about a 1/4 inch or so up and down, so it doesn't feel like it's frozen in place. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:04 AM
Guess

I'd drill the rest of that stripped screw head off and take the latch out. Soak the innerds with carb cleaner and try lubing it again.
You'll be amazed how much crap will drip out of that thing. Then you'll be able to watch the mechanisms and see if something is binding up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Had the same thing. When you get the latch out you will see 2 springs. The one that unlatches the lock is probably bad. Look in your catalogs for that $4.00 spring. Clean the latch and lubricate and it should work fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Sounds good, I'll drill out the stripped screw and clean out the latch and lubricate it. If the spring is bad I'll order that as well. I'll let you know how it works out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 03:56 PM
Darren

Please post what you find out. I am having the same aiisue but with the door closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
closed, door, latch, stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode