67 Camaro with bigblock - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Jerry

67 Camaro with bigblock

ok i screwd up and got 69 frame mounts but they shouldnt have made this issue occure i put my 468 in and the motor went in smooth the mount bolts slid right in then i noticed the motor sat crooked... i searched and found its due to the trans/ cross member what could i do to fix this? btw its a well built th350 for now

also i have hooker supercomps 2205s they hit everything and anything they touch my pitman arm on a manual box and the frame on the pass side could that be due to thecrooked motor? or possibly the header wrap that i wish i never did now? or could it be due to the canfield heads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: 67 camaro with bigblock

You need to start with with the correct 67-68 big block frame mounts along with the correct big block engine mounts. This will "push" your engine to the passenger side. The SBC cross member holes will need to be modified (1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward). Plenty guys (me being one of them very soon) here running BBC with Hookers and no issues. See this thread for good info...
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175780

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
You need to start with with the correct 67-68 big block frame mounts along with the correct big block engine mounts. This will "push" your engine to the passenger side. The SBC cross member holes will need to be modified (1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward). Plenty guys (me being one of them very soon) here running BBC with Hookers and no issues. See this thread for good info...
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175780

i did send the frame mounts back to npd for the correct ones today. The motor mounts are the energy susp tall and narrow 1117s or w.e.

is there a write up on how to modify my th350 cross member? and wouldnt just moving the trans over mess with the drive shaft being moved over? or do i have to relocate the rubber mount on the trans also?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

well i guess that drawing should be enoug of a write up but yea wouldnt that move the driveshaft off to the pass side also?? sorry im a bit young and dumb.....

also has any1 ever used the canfield heads with the hooker supercomps.... cuz as i said there up against the frame on the pass side and the manual steering box on the other
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

So if I have to redrill the xmember to match a th400 xmember couldn't I just buy a th400 xmember my buddy is selling a tubular piece for cheap
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

The motor should sit over to the pass side. Alot of guys use one bolt thru the pass side of cross member into drivers side of mount. I have heard some guys with problems with header clearance using poly motor mounts. I really dont believe its your heads.
I have Dart heads and the main clearence issue was A arm mount bolt on pass side ( I shortened it). I am using Moroso solid motor mounts and had to do a little modifying to get the motor where I wanted it. I then made a tubular trans mount (lighter) to offset the tail house where it needs to be( 1/2'' offset). This really has no effect by the time your driveshaft reaches the rearend housing.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

Would u wanna build another tubular xmember??? How much if so? Yea I donno I got the super comps and they hit everything I cut down the control arm bolt.... but they hit the frame on that side n there up on the pitman arm not messing with the steering but still shouldn't be touching and the pass side one is was up almost against the xmember I donno I'm starting to think the guy I bought them from bent the crap out of them if its not the canfields
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Re: 67 Camaro with bigblock

It would be hard to build a crossmember with out the car if your trans is not in the same place as mine. Have you tried to remove the trans mount bolts and move the tail over to see if the drivers side bolt hole lines up with the pass side bolt hole? As you said this could be one reason why the headers are hitting.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x67rs/ss View Post
It would be hard to build a crossmember with out the car if your trans is not in the same place as mine. Have you tried to remove the trans mount bolts and move the tail over to see if the drivers side bolt hole lines up with the pass side bolt hole? As you said this could be one reason why the headers are hitting.

could be... but the pass side was allready up against the frame if i move the tail to the pass side itll only push that more onto the frame no?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Tried anything different yet? I took a couple pics today of my header clearence on pass side will try to post tomorrow. It is pretty darn close to the frame guess I never paid that much attention. Going to the track tomorrow will post when I get home.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jerry

well i got the correct 67 mounts and it sits a bit better... if it sits that close on the pass side maybe its just cause the headers are wrapped?? i donno but ither way im ganna run them for the summer n swap out over the winter for something better..

and with the trans i used one the pass side hole on the xmember on the driver side hole of the mount motor now sits quite stright lol

now im just waiting for my collecter reducers and ill be set
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Sorry I havent posted my pics yet. If they are wrapped I bet they are really close! Mine have about 1/2" between frame and headers. I know alot of guys are runnin the trans mount like that with out issue. Now if you start rippin on it alt you may want to get a different x member!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Ok here is a couple picks for you..

Hope they help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode