Another No Spark - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Another No Spark

So I just finished putting my motor back in my car..
Went to fire it up, and it backfired [guess distributor was off 180 degrees?].
Pulled the distributor and since then I havn't gotten spark. I have power going to the distributor via a wire that connects to the BAT.
No power coming off to any of the plug wires.
Now here's the tricky part, I swapped it with another distributor I've had sitting around.. same thing.. no spark, but power up to the BAT connection.

It had to have spark earlier in order to backfire.. but now it doesnt?
The rotor moves when I turn the car over, so the cam isint snapped or anything.
Even if it is off 180 degrees it should have spark right?

Any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Another No Spark

If you're using HEI, don't use the yellow resistor wire to the starter solenoid. I was experiencing the same issue on mine last week (after engine swap) and I had a tach filter installed which connected to the negative on the coil and grounded to the firewall. I disconnected the tach filter ground along with the yellow resistor wire and that immediately fixed it.

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If a point dist, make sure the point set is opening up.
Is coil good? Quick test, if point system; remove dist wire from coil - terminal, attach a jumper to same terminal and hold in hand, take a high tension coil wire or plug wire and place in coil tower, turn on ign key, hold plug wire with insulated pliers about a 1/4 inch away from ground, tap jumper wire to ground. As you break contact from jumper wire to ground, pull off jumper from ground, spark should occur. If not, either no primary power or bad coil.

If HEI or point dist, make sure the dist holddown is making good contact to both dist body and block for good ground path.

If a '67, there will not be any ign start voltage as ign switch is not set-up to give ign voltage during cranking.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Hey guys, thanks for the input.
I got it running now .
It ended up being that some wires in the harness were stripped of the insulation and grounding themselves out whenever I actually turned the car over, but didnt ground out when the ignition was just on, giving me the impression that it had power while on.
I rewired half my car today haha.
But it felt good taking her for a drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode