Oil leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Oil leak

/sigh.
So it doesn't seem to end.
Fired up the motor today finally after having it out.
Was suffering from an oil leak from the oil pan and we ended up putting a new pan on it.
So I drove it around fine today, parked it.. Just went outside to move it into the garage and noticed a puddle of oil underneith.

I'm pretty sure it's not the oilpan since it's brand new, and the gasket etc was all replaced.
It also looks like it's leaking above the oil pan but it could just be it spraying around?

The weird thing is my oil doesnt look like it's gone down at all, or very much.. which leads me to believe it's not leaking ALL the time.
It only looks like it leaks after it's been shut off. I can start the car for 20 minutes and have it running and it wont leak until I shut it off.
Checked the filter and it seemed fine, and the drainplug.
I think it's leaking near the rear of the motor, but it could just be running back that way from driving. It actually looks like it's leaking like 6-8 inches BEHIND the motor, but my guess is just runoff.
It's definitly oil though, not transmission fluid.

I checked the rear main seal while the motor was out and it was solid, no sign of oil around it at all.
My thoughts were
Valve cover gaskets?
Intake gasket
Distributor gasket.
Dipstick leaking? I've had that happen before.
Apparently there's a plug in the intake for an oil sending unit, that my buddy told me to check out too.

Any other possibilitys? I stuck my hand behind the distributor and I didnt feel any oil.. so I'd like to rule that out.
I looked the block over when it was out very carefully, and I didn't see any cracks.

Also, I notice it's worse if I drive the car a little bit harder.
It's also dripping down off my starter.
Something is telling me the intake gasket.. which would cause it to go onto the bell housing.. and starter and look like it's leaking behind the motor.

Last edited by SunnyZ28; Apr 2nd, 10 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Oil leak

Run a finger on the back side of the intake where it meets the block by the firewall.. The rear seal on the intake can leak a bunch. So can the oil pressure sender, which is back there slightly to the driver's side in the block. There is no oil pressure in the intake itself. Make sure you have a gasket under the distributor. Make sure it's not a valve cover gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BPOS; Apr 3rd, 10 at 07:52 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Did that, nothing. Nothing around the rear main seal either.. nothing around the oil pressure sender... nothing around the distributor.
So it may have been two funny things making it seem like one.
Turns out my buddy who helped me put the engine messed up the valve cover gasket.. He fixed it, but didnt tell me until after, because he didn't want me to get mad at him.

So a lot of the rear motor was probably oil runoff from that.
Secondly, I was checking my fluids today.. guess what..? No power steering fluid.
Funny because I had a bunch yesterday.
It looks like the clamp broke and sprayed it all over the engine bay... made puddles on the ground that looked like.. guess what? oil!
I'm really hoping thats what it is.
I noticed today because I got another puddle overnight, but it wasnt dirty at ALL.. my oil is definitely dirtier than this is.

I'm crossing my fingers that, that's what it is.
I'll put the matches down and step away from the gas tank haha

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

SO. Another puddle.. bought some trace dye.. Turns out it was coming around the distributor, even though it felt try to the touch, all around the gasket lit up when I used the black light on it.. Changed the gasket.. took it for a drive.. Parked it. No oil.
I'm hoping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode